No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kosta Boda Atoll? Or What??  (Read 2426 times)

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Kosta Boda Atoll? Or What??
« on: January 06, 2010, 02:07:19 PM »
I have been collecting these gorgeous bowls at collectors fairs for a couple of years now, and have 3 of them - pic 1 . I thought they were Kosta Boda Atoll bowls. That is until I bought a lilac one . This is labelled Kosta Boda and I am sure is Atoll. So what are the others? There are no markings, but one has the gluey residue of an oblong label 1.5 cm x 1 cm on the base, whereas the kosta boda label on the lilac one is approx 1 cm square.

Of the 3 bowls I have the blue one I have seen several of, but bought just one, and the red and purple colours I have only ever seen the once (when i bought them) And I don't see any of them very often.

The one with the Kosta Boda label has an  almost textured base, adn the colour is opaque in most of the bowl. The 3 transparent ones have a smooth cut and polished base. The 3 clear ones are 10.5 or 4 1.4  inches diameter and 5.5 cm or 2 1/4 inches high. The lilac one with the label is a shade under 7cm or 2 3/4 inches high, and 11.5 cm or 4.5 inches diameter. The hole for the candle is much deeper in the one with the label.

Are they perhaps an earlier version of the Atoll range? If so who was the designer please? Or are they a lookalike from somewhere else? older or newer?
The questions never end do they!
Thanks again
Jackie
West Oz
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Kosta Boda Atoll? Or What??
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 05:03:16 PM »
Possibly Chinese copies - read the whole thread on the following link (for some reason my usually unreliable memory remembered this discussion from a couple of years back)...

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,17572.0.html

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 10:46:52 PM »
the pink=KB

The others i dont know.

Just a note, before KB started with the square stickers they used rectangular ones. White for second choice and clear for first

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 12:05:35 AM »
Thanks to both for the replies. The link seems definitive as to chinese copies, however I also have some chinese paperweights (bought for me by well meaning friends) and the quality and clarity of the bowls is much higher. Chinese never even crossed my mind for them.

Mind you I will still probably buy them, but now will be able to tell the dealers they are chinese copies and beat the price down!!

Daniel can I ask why do you think the  Pink one is KB though?  - I can see no differences between the 3 bowls I have apart from the colour - I think they have to be all one or the other. I'd like you to be right though!

regards

jackie
West Oz
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 12:14:12 AM »
Sorry - forgot to say the pink one is the one with the rectangular label residue on the base. Jak
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 12:18:52 AM »
Jackie, I think he meant your lilac bowl, which is labelled KB.

The others are definitely the Chinese copies, but as you can see from the thread, they're so convincing I had to buy a brand new boxed one to prove it. It didn't cost me much - I think it was $20-ish.

Correction, it was $9.00. (Probably means $8.99). Keep that in mind when buying second hand.

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 12:27:33 AM »
Thanks Cathy - that makes sense.  It was $9 new by the way according to your thread. Must be the only time chinese glass has more than doubled in value in a couple of years! The pink one was priced at $30 originally and I haggled it down to $20 as I bought several items from the one guy. I still  like it though- worth the price of a few coffees!

regards

Jackie
West Oz

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 07:40:29 AM »
HI
Sorry if I was unclear, yes the "lilac" candle holder is from KB.

The residue you show is not the right shape, do a forum search else I can take a shot of a older KB sticker.

Chinese crap against KB or OF? Never in my house thats for sure.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
Chinese glass is very variable in quality these: from poor through to good. Buyers beware! I think the way here is if you are happy with the quality and the price, buy it because you like it not because you think it is "something."

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 10:58:22 AM »
Thanks Daniel and Christine. Well I bought them because I liked them so I haven't been ripped off. It was one of the dealers who told me they were KB Atoll, at the time I didn't know anything about Scandinavian glass (obviously :-[) Still know very little but learning!

regards

Jackie
West Oz
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum