No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Wine glass with fish handle  (Read 2158 times)

Offline Hannie

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Netherlands
Wine glass with fish handle
« on: May 01, 2016, 07:54:44 AM »
I have this wineglass with a fish in the handle. It has no label or signature. I think it is a murano glass. Does anyone have any information about the maker or designer or in which period it was made?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Wine glass with fish handle
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 08:44:46 AM »
Hi Hannie, nice to see you here.

Your glass is most definitely Murano, and probably made around 1870-1900 by Salviati. The dolphin stem is a classic and recurring Murano ornament. The gold leaf is absolutely stunning.

Offline Feline

• Members
  • Happiness
    • Netherlands
Re: Wine glass with fish handle
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 01:07:32 PM »
Hi Hannie,

I agree with Ivo, this is a typical manufacture from Murano. The proper name is not glass rather, goblet. Concerning the year of creation is difficult to tell because several artists kept realizing these goblets till the middle of the 90s when eventually became old style.
Never forget more than 700 years of Italian Glass history, this is the secret!
Murano glass just for fun!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand