No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Not Monart  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Not Monart
« on: January 10, 2010, 01:30:23 PM »
Just got told about this on WF.com 'again'

http://www.whitefriars.com/isit_contents.php?pageNum_Mistaken=12&totalRows_Mistaken=409&ID=2411

I know Nigel has also posted there before that this is not Monart but our comments seem to have been removed  :huh:

Still it is in the Mistaken Identities section  :D

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Not Monart
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 01:41:18 PM »
The comments are showing fine for me.

But the 'conclusion' part on WF.com is always a little slipshod when it comes to glass that isn't Whitefriars - I remember one instance of someone floating in with some optic-ribbed glass and once it was discounted as Whitefriars the owner of the glass announced that it must be Kastrup glass, because they'd seen something a little bit similar in a book. Consequently, the conclusion was logged as Kastrup before anyone could further respond.

The site's a great place for info on Whitefriars, but decidedly shaky when the attributions veer elsewhere.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 05:33:51 AM »
Yes,  :spls: I was responsible for a similar doozy in which I excitedly described an optic ribbed decanter as "maybe Blenko" (on the advice of someone from another glass board), and that ID is now apparently immortalised.  :-[ It was a long, long time ago... But I thought the site had got a lot better about non-WF ids recently?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 12:47:18 AM »
Oh dear, did not intend to start a critique of the site, not so sure that is a good idea. Just to clarify as I had been told about that one again.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 06:09:41 PM »
Mea culpa.  :-[

I originally intended to just say that I could see the comments that seemed not to be showing for you... but digressed somewhat. I post on the WF site semi-regularly, and the experts there know, hopefully, that I have the utmost respect for their knowledge in the Whitefriars field (and often outside it).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand