No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: VINTAGE GLASS LEAF NAPKIN HOLDERS  (Read 9583 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
VINTAGE GLASS LEAF NAPKIN HOLDERS
« on: January 12, 2010, 01:59:27 AM »
Four beautiful vintage glass napkin holders.  Very light in weight and fragile.  All in perfect condition.  Measuring 11.6cm in height.  The base is 7.2cm in diameter. The actual colours of the leaf start from green at the base of the leaf to yellow and then pink at the top.  The base has a swirled pattern covered all over with gold speckles. The base has a pontol measuring 2.5cm in diameter and is convex as shown in picture. It is definitely blown glass.  I have no idea of their origin, but must confess that they are one of the most beautiful pieces I have ever seen!  If anyone can put a label on these I would be most grateful.  Your comments are most welcomed too.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: VINTAGE GLASS LEAF NAPKIN HOLDERS
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 02:46:47 AM »
These look Venetian to me. If no one in the general glass group knows the maker, perhaps we can switch this to the Murano board. One of the members that drops by every few days may be able to give you more definite information. You have some beautiful glass, Otis.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 02:57:25 AM »
Many thanks!   TxSilver,  I look forward to this persons comments.  I had a gut feeling that they were Murano, but did not want to push my luck!  Many thanks for your info.  Any further information you or your colleagues can gather, will definitely be most appreciated.  Once again, thanks for your comments.  That has certainly put a smile on my face.  For that ............... :kissy:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 07:38:04 AM »
Can we see a base picture please. If they have a pontil mark, it is more likely to be concave rather than convex if it is properly finished. I think you are confusing concave and convex

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 08:00:27 PM »
I would really expect this type of piece to have a snapped pontil that may have some degree of polishing. Often pictures of the base are not overly illuminating for older Venetian glass.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 09:13:43 PM »
Hi, Lustrousstone.  I can assure you that it is convex.  Mmmmmmmmmm,  I am all confused now.  If the pontil stands prominent from the base center, then surely this is convex.  
I have checked the figurine again and the pontil is curved and stands prominent.  So can you confirm then whether it is convex or concave. The picture attached does not do it justice but I am most certain that it is convex.  The centre of the convex is rough in places.  I could be wrong, but I will wait for your opinion.  Many thanks for you interest!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 10:20:32 PM »
That's a snapped pontil, i.e., an unfinished one or a partially finished (heated) one, which is OK as Anita said. If it was convex it would be a smooth curve like ( , not just something that stands proud of the surface.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 10:51:01 PM »
Hi, Anita  As I am unable to confirm that it is Murano.  Will this particular piece be moved into the Murano section by the moderator for scrutiny or do I have to do it? Thanks! for your info. Lustrouss.

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 07:11:34 PM »
They appear to be Venetian to me as well.  Very nice indeed.  I love the colors.  The colors are so autumn like which are appropriate for the leaf design.    

They are very lovely and they appear to be older pieces.  I wonder who made them?  Now I am going to pondering over this all day. 

tam bam

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 11:20:47 PM »
Hi! Tam Bam,  I have scoured myself to no avail.  My only possible lead, it that they could be Murano. I am not sure if the Moderator would consider putting this in that section.  I would love to know the origin and current value as I would release these if the price was right.  I know for a fact that they are very old and fragile too.  They are not the normal sort of thing I would collect. I have to be ever so careful with them, so try not to handle them too much. Whoever made these must of definately been highly skilled.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand