No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Visiting Murano  (Read 10502 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Visiting Murano
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2005, 06:00:44 PM »
Delighted it's useful Leni.  I'll add it to GlassLinks in the next batch of additions later as well.  8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Visiting Murano
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2005, 04:38:19 AM »
Thanks everyone.   Janet and I will be in Murano this afternoon.   I've been practising with my camera, so should be able to add some useful pictures on my return.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Visiting Murano
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2006, 07:23:48 PM »
Hi everyone.  :lol:

I just thought that I would add my experience of Murano, to that of Bernards.

We were lucky enough to be given a private tour of a small glass factory, where the glass master is Andrea Tagliapietra (his glass master was Ermanno Nason). His son is working alongside him, and a very good glass artist he is too. They both permitted us to take photos of them at work and they were so fast in what they do, that some of the photos are blurred, nonetheless, I have some wonderful memories and a few lovely photos.
We wandered around Murano and stumbled upon another glass making facility, we just stood at their 'back door' and watched them at work. Amazing!
We also went to Formia, as Bernard suggested, but most of the workers had days off, so there were only 4 people at work, 1 of which was the glass master. (Italy were playing Germany the very same evening  :wink: ) It was still an amazing sight, again, they pemitted photos/videos to be made, but use of flash equipment was not allowed.

We actually stayed on Venice, and very expensive it is too. If you intend to visit/stay in Venice, then allow between E1-2 pp cover charge in most restaurants (just to have a drink too!) plus 12% service charge on top of anything you order. You should also expect to pay between E3.50-4.50 for a can of coke, if consumed in a restaurant/cafe, look at any menus before you decide. You can purchase drinks to be consumed whilst walking, from booths, these are also very expensive.
There are actually very few benches/seats provided for the public, so steps etc. have to surfice, unless you want to pay the cover charge.
The best and most inexpensive place we found for a snack, was on Murano. No cover charge either!

I also found MANY paperwights which were Chinese made, with Murano stickers on them, in the shops in Venice. Jan kindly took photos and I will post them when he has uploaded them from his camera.
When I asked the shopkeepers why this was, they all virtually came up with the same answer. Tourists want glass from Murano at cheap prices, we just give them what they want.

We had a great time, but came home quite a few euros down, especially as I couldn't resist buying a couple of Tagliapietra sculptures.
 :lol:

:shock: Click to enlarge :shock:  (1st photo is from the new collection and is called 'Calcedonio' glass (mimicking layers of rock). 2nd & 3rd photos are of one knot, different lighting)
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Visiting Murano
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2006, 02:14:27 AM »
Hi Della, welcome back. :) It sounds like you had a super time. I love your sculptures - I want one too! (David E will be green as well, I'm sure.)  

Looking forward to seeing your other photos as well - especially the Chinese Murano weights. I'm sure these will prove an interesting topic for discussion given previous comments about them.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand