No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Bowl/Ashtray  (Read 2261 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Glass Bowl/Ashtray
« on: January 09, 2010, 10:48:16 PM »
An unusual bowl.  Unable to find a duplicate. believed to be 1960s Retro.  The bowl measures 17.7 cm in width and highest point of bowl measures 5.6cm (due to fold) Lowest point in height measures 4.5cm. In one of the attachments one of the coloured patterns is in gold/bronze speckles.  It could be a Murano bowl, however, unable to identify origin and year of make.  The base of the bowl measures 6.5cm, longest point and 5.2 in width. Can anyone help?

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Glass Bowl/Ashtray
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 11:37:00 PM »
Yes, it is a Murano bowl, probably from the 1950s. There are three companies I can think of that may have made the bowl: Fratelli Toso, AVeM, or Aureliano Toso. Without a label, it is difficult for me to say which with certainty. It is a very nice piece of glass.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 10:44:18 PM »
Thanks! for providing me with that information.  Yes, it is unfortunate that there is no label.  Out of curiosity, do you know were I could find one the same or similar online?

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 02:06:38 AM »
The swirling cane form is called mezza filigrana or half filigree. If you put Murano and one of these phrases into a search engine, e.g. Google, you can find some similar pieces. Most will not have the attractive arrangement of your bowl, but you might find some that do. Aureliano Toso and AVeM did some very nice mezza filigrana that may appeal to you.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 01:54:24 PM »

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 12:43:17 AM »
Thanks to you all for providing me with this information.  I have looked on sites suggested and yes there bares a lot of similarities.  I wonder if the moderator will place this in the Murano forum?   Once again, many thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand