No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art Glass Pitcher  (Read 3417 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Art Glass Pitcher
« on: January 12, 2010, 03:55:51 AM »
One of the members pointed out eBay auction 250557997157 to me a few days ago. I didn't recognize the piece as a Dino Martens design and hadn't seen anything he had done that had glass applied to the outside in such a fashion. Does anyone recognize the design? My education on Martens must need some updating.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline tam bam

• Members
Re: Art Glass Pitcher
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 06:58:36 PM »
Anita,

Did you see how much the pitcher sold for?!  It went for something around $1,253.00.  I don't know what it was but perhaps he fouled some people or some other people knew what this was.

What the heck was this piece!?   :huh:  Be warned.  It was me who e-maled Anita.  I hope I can do this on this forum without getting kicked off.  This Ebayer was telling me all kinds of crazy stuff to get me to bid.  That is why I e-mailed Anita.  You can trust her.  I just chalked this up as a learning experience and I DID NOT bid and took her advise.  :thup:

Thanks Anita!

tam bam

Mod: edited as per the Board Policy. Please note the following guidelines:
• If you wish to draw attention to an on-line auction which you consider to be ‘not as described’ you may provide a link to the auction but you should only state that “in my opinion this piece has not been described correctly.” Or, for example, in the case of a signature that you feel is incorrect “the signature does not appear to be genuine.”  It would also be advisable to ask if others have any opinion. Do not state anything is a fact, unless you can provide documentary proof!
• If it is felt that a posting is taking an unfair position in respect of a person selling on an on-line auction the posting will be removed or edited to remove bias.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 09:17:40 PM »
Alas, I am very fallible. When the bids went so high I thought I'd check with the group to see if other people knew something about the piece.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 06:26:36 AM »
I hope I can do this on this forum without getting kicked off.

Hi Tami,

No, you certainly wouldn't be kicked off the forum.  :) The board has guidelines covering the raising of potentially inaccurate or misleading eBay listings, and the mods may edit (or delete) your posts accordingly. It is important to raise these issues, but these rules ensure that any statements made are fair to all parties.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 07:38:47 AM »
If it's by Dino, then it only goes to show that Dino could have bad days, very bad days. Look at that handle.

Is there anything remotely like it in the Martens book? (I'm on holiday away from my books right now.)

(A slightly flabbergasted) David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 12:16:34 PM »
Sorry, I shouldn't have opened my big mouth yesterday. I will try and hold my tongue next time but David is right the handle is not your typical Dino Martens.   :P

tam bam

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 02:03:54 PM »
...Is there anything remotely like it in the Martens book? (I'm on holiday away from my books right now.)
(A slightly flabbergasted) David

I checked Heiremans. The glass looks superficially like the volcano pieces, but the technique is very different. The pitcher in the auction has the colored glass applied to the surface, so there is high relief. Heiremans describes the volcano pieces as being made with ground glass, with the crater effect being created by heating. To me the surface of Martens' volcano pieces appears to be marvered without any significant relief in the topography of the glass. The amount of clear glass would be surprising for a volcano piece, as would the latticino base.

I scouted for a design remotely similar to the pitcher, but found none in the Heiremans book. I know the book is not exhaustive, though, so someone may know something that I don't. The seller told Tami in an email that a VP at Sothesby had identified the piece as Martens a few years ago. It would be nice to locate the piece. I hope the buyer made a good purchase... or sees this and questions the purchase if it is needed.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 02:57:59 PM »
In looking at the piece, IMHO I strongly doubt the Martens attribution as being accurate. Although Martens did so some work that has an "artistic free-form" feel to it, IMHO he did not do anything quite this loose both in terms of sloppy form and execution. The piece IMHO looks to be quite amateurish in terms of execution.... It has an "uncomfortable" look to it that I would not associate with Martens at all. (or any other quality glass house)

I know that it is also personal preference, but personally, iI think the piece is quite unattractive.... I, personally,  do not think it is Martens at all and would also question if it is even Italian in origin.....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 02:36:08 PM »
Before we put this one to rest...

I looked at the close-ups of the pitcher that Tami sent me and suspect the piece is Chinese. There is some sloppiness that I wouldn't expect in European glass (except maybe Spanish). The dark applied glass tinged the top part of the latticino in some places. The handle looks like an afterthought. It looks like a single ding would take it off. Yellow latticino is used in many Chinese paperweights, so it is what makes me think China instead of other country-candidates.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 11:45:21 PM »
.... and, IMHO, just about the ugliest thing ever to be snapped off a rod. Ugh! ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand