No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian Vase Nailsea?? Stourbridge??  (Read 1915 times)

Offline thomasandkatherine

• Members
Victorian Vase Nailsea?? Stourbridge??
« on: November 09, 2005, 05:11:30 AM »
Hi, I have a pair of Victorian vases for which I would appreciate an ID and a possible date of manufacture.  They stand around 18cm tall.  They are cased with a cranberry spiral on pink/white on the exterior.  The interior is white.  They have applied flint glass feet and collar.  The glass on the main body of the piece is particularly fine.  They have the usual impurities in the glass.  I believe they were probably intended to be used as bulb vases.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

http://www.glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=24&pos=5

Mod: The images from this thread have vanished. If you started this thread and you still have the pictures, please let the moderators know so that we can restore them. To add pictures to your posts permanently, the GMB recommends either using the 'attach' facility when posting, or using The Glass Gallery. See the GMB guide to adding pictures to your posts for more.
Alison Robley, Australia

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Victorian Vase Nailsea?? Stourbridge??
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 07:06:55 AM »
Bulb vases have an opening you can stick three fingers in and are usually transparent so you can see the development of the roots - which is half the fun.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline thomasandkatherine

• Members
Bulb Vases
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 07:52:00 AM »
Yes, I have owned a few bulb vases which are transparent but have also owned one in black/amethyst opaque glass and others in porcelain.  I can fit 3.5 fingers in the top of these so the size is right.   They would look most attractive with a pink hycinth in the top.
Alison Robley, Australia

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand