No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Made in China at TK Maxx  (Read 6656 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Made in China at TK Maxx
« on: July 11, 2009, 06:03:41 PM »
I battled my way into Cardiff town centre today through the hoards of foreign cricket supporters and there were also some Australians there too (Ashes - cricket match 100 yards from my home).
Here is a photo for future reference of some Chinese glass at TK Max (discount shop), including dolphins, jelly fish paperweights and fish.

I do not want to help with sales or advertising for the shop, just thought that there will probably be some id requests in the future.

John.

Offline eglass

• Members
Re: Made in China at TK Max
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 04:07:52 AM »
John, here in the states we have TJ Maxx, as well as several places like Hobby Lobby and Big Lots that sell remarkably well made Chinese glass as well. It's a good habit to make a point of strolling through these places on occasion to "see what's new" coming out of China. There's no doubt in my mind that a good portion of the art glass being sold as "vintage" is actually this new stuff.

Best to keep aware, you're right!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 10:18:26 AM »
I like to keep an eye on what's going on here too. :thup:

Sometimes you can get lovely stuff! I have a nice collection of Beranek "Tropical Flowers" from here, have bought Caithness paperweights and some good Krosno and Tarnowiec peices. A lot of it is fine and functional. I use particularly large pieces as wastepaper bins.

And a lot of it turns up on antiquey place shelves. >:(
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 03:14:31 PM »
I also quite often see pieces of glass in 'antique centres' from TK Max described as vintage, saw a few today at the Malvern Flea Market. I have also seen in TK some good crystal, nice Murano bowls/chargers and they currently have a load of Ichendorf for sale (signed or I would not have known).

John.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 10:31:41 PM »
Popped in for another look today.

The three vases had made in China stickers.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand