No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Who Makes the best Murano Copies?  (Read 4887 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Who Makes the best Murano Copies?
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 09:26:42 PM »
I think Japanese glass from the later 70's to 80's done some good imitation of Murano Glass. Now that they have come into there own, they are making some exceptional pieces. Those Ohira works are truly beautiful! I like to peruse alot of Japanese Art Glass and they are, now in my opinion, up there with the Murano makers in style, quality and originality.

Ohira was born in Japan, but moved to Murano as a young man. His work is considered Muranese. When I was thinking of him, I thought of the contemporary Murano market in general. Many recent Murano pieces are nice, but I rarely find anything that has that wow factor. Ohira's work has the wow factor that the innovative glass of the 1850-60s had. I would love to own a room full of it, but my purse is too light for my tastes.  :'(

Edited to add on the Pino Signoretto also has the wow factor. I couldn't leave Pino out!
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 07:16:49 AM »
Interesting discussion. I'm pretty sure it's Chinese. To support my claim, I have to ask you look at my vase in this thread--and start apologizing all over again. Scroll down to the last picture. http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,30684.msg166695.html#msg166695

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 10:49:06 PM »
David - I have taken the unprecedented step of moving all of my 'speculative' purchases out to one of the sheds, known as 'Rat Hollow'. That way I don't have to look at them too often.

I keep saying that I will put them onto ebay but I am too embarrassed to do that, don't know why as that is where they came from.

Having said all the above, Alison wants some additional vases for flowers (Although 3 cupboards are full of vases all ready) and as she is banned from using the Seguso ones I think we may pick up a couple of 'good' chinese versions at the right price of course.

Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline glasshunter

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 05:12:47 AM »
hi all,  i try my best to buy things that were made in Italy hopefully the hole history wood be hard to match even if the quality is as good or better maybe thats why they all imitate the masters.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 09:55:24 AM »
Oddly enough, someone has actually bidded on this piece! Decided to watch it since it was listed and see if someone would bid. Still 4 days to go so will be interesting to see if someone else bids, although the check on the bidder says they only have 9 feedbacks.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 12:57:06 AM »
The ebay vase you've referenced reminds me of the Rainbow Glass (Made in Japan) item I posted in this thread. Those colours are familiar as well.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 01:26:31 AM »
Very similar Cathy. Why would you sell those on ebay, they can hardly be that cheap to buy and most of these are selling for 60-90 dollars (US55-80)? They also come up every couple of weeks.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 06:54:22 AM »
Only to get some idea of what Japanese glass is out there, if labelled and the right price. Plus it's quite nice :) That's why I buy it, anyway.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 09:39:33 PM »
I am extremely impressed to see a collector of Japanese glass! I am actually kicking myself for selling of my Japanese pieces years ago before I moved to the UK.  Especially seeing some of the prices they are fetching these days!  :mrgreen:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand