No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Archimede Seguso Perfume Bottle & Powder Bowl...  (Read 2785 times)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Archimede Seguso Perfume Bottle & Powder Bowl...
« on: January 22, 2010, 09:12:18 AM »
The only perfume bottle and powder bowl I will own. Only ever wanted just the one so decided to go for this as it went quite cheaply. Which I am happy about and quite like the colours as they go well with my large amount of green & amber pieces i own LOL.

The perfume bottle has the Archimede Seguso label but the powder bowl doesn't. Some of you may have seen this on ebay recently.

Ardy, maybe you could with the age on these pieces?

Hopefully one day I will be able to take better label shots. Got a new camera and still learning all the functions.  :24:

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Re: Archimede Seguso Perfume Bottle & Powder Bowl...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 09:18:14 AM »
Couple of more pics...

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 02:14:51 PM »
Nice selections! According to Marc Heiremans, the scalloped oval label was introduced in the mid-1950s. It was replaced in the 1980s by the smooth-edged oval label. The labels that had the name Archimede Seguso were used for the "artistic glass." I guess what Heiremans meant by this was that the better pieces got the label with the name.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 08:40:30 PM »
Many thanks TxSilver. Would I be correct in assuming that this may be one of Archimedes earlier pieces? The perfume bottle suggests to me it probably would be. Say mid 50's to mid 60's?

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 09:12:12 PM »
Archimede formed his own company in 1946 after he left Seguso Vetri d'Arte, where he worked for a few years. So it isn't one of their earliest pieces. I am more inclined to date the glass at closer to late 50s-1960s, when Murano glass production and export was at its peak. Our Seguso people on board may be able to provide a better estimate of the age.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 10:57:31 PM »
I can only add that the spray head looks older than the ones we own. It is of the 'rocket' style that was popular in the fifties and the top seems to unscrew whereas all the ones we have unscrew from the glass which has a screw ferrule attached to it. Also you dont see many sommerso perfume bottles by Seguso at least in the last 2 years we have been looking seriously. The influence of Poli is so obvious in Seguso's work.

Which ebay did you get this from as I didn't see it and I thought we had a reasonable grip on the Aussie and USA sites?

Jealous :spls:me never! - you should see Alison in full flight. Lucky I haven't shown her these.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 12:45:12 AM »
These two came from a UK seller. I found them by accident funnily enough. I got them for 31 quid. Good price? I thought so, well I hope so! Was just under $100 for shipment to Australia. I can definitely see the Poli influence in these two. Is a very subtle style sommerso to them. The pics don't show it to well, but there is a hint of the gold/yellow effect around the green bowl that only shows up in certain light or from a certain angle. The perfume bottle is the same.

If i ever list them up for auction Ardy, I will let you know!  ;D

I found with the camera, if it is out of focus, the label shows up. If it is in focus, the label is slightly blurry. The macro (flower) seems to be working well. I am also taking a pic of the labels at an angle, which seems to be working.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand