No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rikaro Crystal - Czech  (Read 5373 times)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Rikaro Crystal - Czech
« on: November 24, 2005, 12:14:52 PM »
Anyone know anything about this company ?

Here's a (new production) labelled piece
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7366465009

This website isn't very informative http://www.rikaro.com.au/

I'm not sure if its the name of the maker or the name of the importer/ wholesaler.  :roll:
Pete

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Rikaro Crystal - Czech
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 12:35:13 PM »
the website says
Double Z Entreprises P/L ( ABN 15 069 626 213 ) trading as
RIKARO CRYSTAL

so it is a P/L - an Australian ltd.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Rikaro Crystal - Czech
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 10:48:17 AM »
Thanks Ivo
I thought so but considered several possibilites, for example that this was the local (Australian) branch campany for distributing the products of a Czech company called Rikaro Sklo or some such .......but it seems not.

I wrote to the company and their response was merely their full name as you showed plus their address.

So they are, yet another re-labeler obscuring the origin of the products they sell, I would guess, to hide their sources from competitors and promote their own "brand"; understandable but short-sighted in my opinion and it seems somehow dishonest yet I doubt they are breaking any law.

If we were talking here about generic glassware for the catering sector - it would be more understandable but it surprises me that a maker of high quality art glass, if indeed it is, would agree to such an arrangement.

I suppose makers have little control over what goes on after they ship their orders and this maker must feel that they have no "brand" to protect. At this rate they never will.  

I note that Double Z Entreprises P/L also carry the Desna line but I can't help but wonder if the Rikaro branded items are indeed from Czechoslovakia .... :roll:
Pete

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Rikaro Crystal - Czech
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 11:59:35 AM »
According to Rikaro Crystal.

All our Rikaro Crystal products are handcrafted in the Czech lands of Bohemia and Moravia, using traditional methods of mouth blown, "Free Hand" and hand moulded crystal.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Rikaro Crystal - Czech
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 12:17:18 PM »
Thanks Della
I do remember reading that somewhere and the flowery language makes me even more suspicious. Maybe I'm just a suspicious guy.
Pete

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Rikaro Crystal - Czech
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 12:20:57 PM »
I can't say that I blame you Peter :wink:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand