No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Spllit: Czech lady frosted figure Reg#, Importers  (Read 4289 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Spllit: Czech lady frosted figure Reg#, Importers
« on: October 16, 2005, 04:19:12 PM »
Fantastic article Marcus - I mean that, I have had some good debates with you on post war Czech glass (without knowing your pedigree as it were  :oops: ) - we are the moment looking at some items that may not I thought were Sklo - did you see the two blue bits and other I posted in the thread, some others are coming in to help as well with pictures

I think it has been very easy to shout Sklo Union, you make that point very clear, I will be very cautious in future in terms of manufacturer, designer and even country - I mean it is such an unknown territory and you know more than most and admit this so I for one will not be so flippant - there is a Czech lady frosted figure c 1950s (they say?) I see posted on many sites, well I sold exact same one two weeks ago on eBay with Rd No - that is a UK number and it was late 1930s – it also says ‘foreign’ so it’s been imported but has a UK patent to protect design, but which country is it, I think Czech like many others … but …. mmmmmm - so I for one take nothing as read anymore and await more research - in terms of selling, well still got to make a buck, but am going to keep some stuff relating to this topic until I get more info - I am sure working together we will get attributions we are all surprised at, especially little me :roll:  :wink:

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/image_decolady.jpg

http://www.black-poppy.co.uk/mc/czech/list.htm

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 11:01:31 PM »
Quote from: "David555"
there is a Czech lady frosted figure c 1950s (they say?) I see posted on many sites, well I sold exact same one two weeks ago on eBay with Rd No - that is a UK number and it was late 1930s – it also says ‘foreign’ so it’s been imported but has a UK patent to protect design, but which country is it, I think Czech like many others …

Adam, Your RD number was issued to L Cohen on 4 Nov 1929. I seem to recall someone saying that Cohen was an importer, but I cannot find that reference again. I've searched this board and nothing came up for him.

Can anyone please confirm Cohen was an importer and which companies/countries he imported from? I recall seeing something else with an RD number issued to Cohen and meant to ask this question a while ago but had forgotten to.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 02:15:20 PM »
Quote from: "Anne"
Can anyone please confirm Cohen was an importer and which companies/countries he imported from?

1931 PG diary

L Cohen & Sons Ltd
23 Bartlett's Buildings., London EC4

Agents for James Pearson, Chesterfield (Stoneware)

In 1950 Pearson's agent was S W Stunt, London EC1. So Cohen family did not get through the war. Needs a follow-up at Companies House, no online info

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 05:44:42 PM »
Thanks Frank that is very useful. Does the 1931 date mean that was when he began or is it in interim reference?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 06:04:43 PM »
No idea, probably interim

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Sklo Union - some views
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 01:19:43 AM »
Hi,

I've just had a chance to look at my copies of the PG Diary(s) for L Cohen as a London agent. They are not mentioned in the 1938 edition. The only edition that I have which lists importers specifically is 1948, and that does not mention L. Cohen & Sons Ltd.

However, S. W. Stent of 31, Ely Place, London EC1 are already named as agents for Pearson & Co (Chesterfield) Ltd in 1938.

Therefore, I am wondering whether the theory about the Cohen family not surviving the war is relevant. Did the business even carry on until the war?

Nigel

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 02:30:17 AM »
Thank you Nigel, that's useful to know. So we have them in 1929 and 1931.

I checked the Glass Association's Blue Book and found the only Registered Numbers for Cohen during the years covered (i.e. 1908 - 1945) were the three that happened in 1929.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand