No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Bowl/Ashtray...ID Help...  (Read 2257 times)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Murano Bowl/Ashtray...ID Help...
« on: January 23, 2010, 06:52:15 AM »
Hi, purchased this about 8 yrs ago. Saw the exact bowl about 2-3 yrs later on ebay with a label but I have forgotten what was on it! It was either the 'Venetian Made By Alfredo Barbini For Weil Ceramics & Glass Murano Italy' or the 'Hand Made Venetian Glass Vetro Artistico Veneziano Made In Murano Italy' label. Confirmation would be greatly appreciated. My searches have been futile on this one.

The bowl 6.5 cm high and 12cm in length. Is cased with 3 layers, yellow (inner), white then amber glass on the outside. Or it could be clear. It was quite confusing on that LOL. Any help appreciated.  ;D

Offline brianpmulcahy

• Members
Re: Murano Bowl/Ashtray...ID Help...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 12:46:42 AM »
I've had one like that for years (currently and coincidentally on ebay, here):
Mod: ebay live link removed as it promotes a sale by the seller - under the board's Policy such promotion should only be made in Glass Market Place

I've seen it referenced as Barbini in other places, and I'm familiar with their Sommerso products as they're quite a favourite of mine - the label on mine does say 'Hand Made Venetian Glass Vetro Artistico Veneziano Made In Murano Italy'.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 06:24:06 AM »
Many thanks for that! I remember seeing them referenced as Barbini as well. Thankfully now I have confirmation as to the label that would have been on these.  ;D

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 07:01:07 AM »
The eBay listing from brianpmulcahy says that the bowl is by Barbini.  Is the suggestion that this label is a Barbini label? It's a label that you see quite a lot, so I would be concerned if everything with this label was identified as Barbini (and not because there is a big difference in quality between this bowl and a Barbini for Weil bowl). The two most likely explanations for this label I've heard are, one, it was the label of a Murano company, and, two, and this came from what I would say is reputable and knowledgeable dealer, that the label is associated with Campanella.

Any other possibilities?

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline brianpmulcahy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 07:06:17 PM »
I always had it pegged as an English-language generic export label (hence the words "Ventian Art Glass" in both English & Italian)- I've seen it quite a lot on wildly different things; I'd be very surprised if it belongs to a single company

Offline brianpmulcahy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 07:08:12 PM »
BTW I wouldnt i.d. the bowl as Barbini on the strength of the label, but based on what I've seen elsewhere & owned myself before.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 08:50:56 PM »
Brian (?):

Thanks for the clarification. I once suggested that this might be a precursor of the promovetro label, but didn't get any feedback so I dropped the idea. You are certainly right that the label appears on a wide rage of glass of highly variable quality, which was one of the motivations for me getting the clarification.

Thanks again.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 12:26:10 AM »
I always had it pegged as an English-language generic export label (hence the words "Ventian Art Glass" in both English & Italian)- I've seen it quite a lot on wildly different things; I'd be very surprised if it belongs to a single company

I would have to agree with this also. The wide variety of glass that this label appears on is definitely something that tells us that it was used for export. I am now referring to it as the "the label used for quality glass that they could not bare to put Geniune Venetian Glass Hand Made In italy" on!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand