No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Kralik?  (Read 882 times)

Offline athelny

• Members
    • Athelny Antiques
Is this Kralik?
« on: January 23, 2010, 10:02:06 AM »
I bought this vase in a job lot of 18th century glass... I know nothing about it but a look through eBay showed something similar and was described as Wilhelm Kralik produced in Czechoslovakia. Any information would be very helpful.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline athelny

• Members
    • Athelny Antiques
Re: Is this Kralik?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 10:18:33 AM »
or perhaps Ruckle?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 03:50:45 PM »
Czech,yes,Kralik,maybe...there are a few experts here who'll let you know when they see your post,Keith.

Offline athelny

• Members
    • Athelny Antiques
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 04:41:53 PM »
Ruckle seems a very likely candidate... see following link

http://www.great-glass.co.uk/library/lib1c.htm#R

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 10:56:06 PM »
Is it marked in any way on the underside of the base with an acid stamp of any kind?  If not this type of glass can be quite difficult to attribute.

Many companies did this sort of glass. Most of it is next to impossible to identify as to the source unless it is marked in some manner. The best form of attribution for this would come from another piece in a known decor specific to a glass house, but in the same shape, as the shape is distinctive enough to be unique to one maker.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline athelny

• Members
    • Athelny Antiques
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 11:26:05 PM »
No sign of any mark I'm afraid.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 01:25:16 AM »
Note that the items in the Great Glass site (and also those in the Truitt book) under the Rückl category all have significant areas of black (or other colour, depending on the main body colour) rising from the base - and on a couple of pieces I have, the black covers the whole underside of the base / foot, too. Also, the Rückl pieces shown tend to have a fairly obvious "blobbed" spatter patterning.

In the item shown here, there is not the extent of black (or whatever) and the red-yellow spatter is more "striped" than "blobbed". So maybe that is a clue that they might not be Rückl (assuming those others are). But I am sure Craig would know more about that than I do.
KevinH

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 01:37:31 AM »
Kevin's observations are valid, but I would also have to add that the shape is, based on documentation I have seen on Rückl, does not strike me strongly as their work. My experience, which is limited with them, is that they generally used more simplistic forms than this piece has, so the shape would probably have me looking in another direction also.  In many cases with this type of glass, shape is the key to identification.... if it can ever be definitively attributed at all.

I would also add that I would date the piece to the Deco era (1925-1935), as the style of the base and body use a repetition of 3 bulges and steps. "3" was a very big Deco era design technique and you will see repetitions of "3" in many designs of that period.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand