No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this figure a Chinese copy/fake of a Murano one ?  (Read 4085 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Is this figure a Chinese copy/fake of a Murano one ?
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 05:18:16 PM »
Do you think this was made in USA or Murano ?

I didn't notice this end question before. It is made in Murano.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 08:06:09 PM »
What Anita meant was the Jordan Import designed pieces and had them made in Murano and also bought pieces off makers' shelves (standard lines) to import to the USA. Moulds and hot working are not incompatible if you want to achieve a particular shape or pattern. Also the gold leaf isn't likely to be worn, it's applied to hot glass and that's the effect you get.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 01:47:42 AM »
Just a point to note ...

For anyone not familiar with the use of gold leaf on glass, please note that if something has gold leaf decoration (or even silver leaf), do not automatically assume it will be a Murano item. Lots of makers, from various countries, did - and still do - use gold leaf in much the same way as on this very nice Murano figure.
KevinH

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 02:37:52 AM »
Thanks Guys & Gals ...I  can't thank you all enough ..a real eye opener for me !! Cheers, Mike. :spls2:
Mike

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 04:22:54 AM »
I wondered after reading these comments if the gold is on the outside. Usually it is inside the glass. I recently bought an elephant that actually has the foil on the outside. It is rough and has an almost-Scavo-like feel and look to it. I believe the gold on these JICo pieces is inside the glass. If the glass is smooth, the gold is inside.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 11:13:49 AM »
Yes, the gold is on the outside to the top of the base and has that slightly rough feel to it... certainly not inside the glass. It isn't worn either (as is mentioned above) and I can now see it's just the way it has been applied to the glass. Cheers, Mike. 
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand