No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chunky ribboned trefoil bowl - help needed for identification please.  (Read 4675 times)

Offline Jay

• Members
    • http://www.hogelandshoeve.be
Re: Chunky ribboned trefoil bowl - help needed for identification please.
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 02:20:12 PM »
I'm inclined to think it may NOT be Verboeket. Although he used green and cobalt blue together for these sort of 'stretched vases it's normally a darker green than the photo reflects, (I never saw a verified example with the yellow addition), most KU examples ARE marked, and most are derived from 'standard' basic forms which this one doesn't fit, and lastly it has rather too many colour strands for the Maastricht style.
It's only a non-specific and humble  opinion though!
Dutch and Flemish 20th Century Factory Glass

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 02:40:35 PM »
I have seen an awfy lot of these in Holland. They must have been made in considerable numbers.

Offline Jay

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 09:02:11 AM »
Ivo, if you're sure it's in the correct box, then I'll take that as (new) information!

BTW do you know the exact usage of the 'Sterglas' label?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 04:57:18 PM »
It was the most logical choice at the time, I'm not sure if I can think of anyone else who produced this type of glass in such numbers. Still, never seen one labeled or even attributed...

Offline Jay

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 05:22:36 PM »
Dear Ivo,

I don't have real info to add to what I said previously. It does not appear in any literature at my disposal, and IMHO it has variations of colour, number of threads and shape which do not seem to fit with the patterns/styles/ colours of known groups.
Even if there do not seem to be many candidates as manufacturer, that doesn't confirm KU for me!

As per the question above; there is Dutch glass in circulation which bares the mark 'Sterglas -Made in Holland' and it's assumed to be a pseudonym of some sort (and possibly refers to the star on the logo used by KU Maastricht) it seems to be used for items for cash-sale/export (for cash?) which may well have followed a different style/colour/shape guide to the one provided by Verboeket for official KristalUnie products.
In essence what I'm suggesting is some sort of cowboy/improvised production which may have spontaneously arisen (briefly? in protest? secretly?) during the difficult fusion between the factories. I've been shown tall vases in KU colours which are claimed as being produced when they blowers got bored with the 'endless' Etruska and Antiqua production. Certainly there is consistency in colour and technique but they are definitely NOT catalogued in the surviving documentation. (There IS of course a big blackhole in the archive at this point due to the fire damage) I'd love to hear from one of the Maastricht blowers about what happened during the merger-period!

In the meantime we should assume that there may be 'widows and orphans' cluttering up the picture. And this could be an example.

If there are two 'exactly' the same that that seems to indicate it might not be genuine? The whole point of the Kristaluniek production was to create maximum possible diversity within the fixed elements!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 05:58:12 PM »
I could not imagine 'sterglas'  as a maker's mark - it is not a likely one.

Of course anything could have happened during the grand faillite of Leerdam,  the susequent takeover by the bottleworks, the curiously underdocumented war years and the surreptitious murder of the competition. There is too much uncertainty, too many gaps in the story.   Maybe one of these days the whole story will come to light...

Offline Jay

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2015, 06:30:39 PM »
This label is attached to a Verboeket-style vase which might well share a source with the piece under discussion.

You think it's NOT Dutch?
or you suggest it's a retailer's label??

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »
I do not like to speculate. I know nothing of this mark, and it could be a retailer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand