No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Squat square, textured, clear glass vase, tiered effect - ID = Riihimäen Pala  (Read 3736 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Hi all picked this up at the weekend because it reminded me of a couple of scandi pieces ive seen, although quality not good enough (and it was very very cheap ;D)
It stands at 11.5cms tall, 10.5 x 10.5.
The glass is clear, no great quality quite tinged in colour. The outer of the glass has an odd texture like it was made with a thick weave material in the mould, with a small dimpled effect and little lines, it has 2 mould lines down the sides and one all the way round the base.
The base has a slight concave to it, and it sits on the edge of the corners where there is plenty of age wear (good and dull age wear, consistent)
anybody ideas on maker??
michelle

Offline dirk.

• Members
Hi Michelle,
looks like Riihimäen ´Pala´ vase designed by Helena Tynell to me. Concerning the
´tinge´... perhaps simply a bad day?
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
crikey now thats what i call quick... Dirk your amazing once again  ;D.
funnily enough it was the Riihimaen 'kehra' vase by Aladin that i was thinking of when i bought it, but thought it maybe by a lesser known factory like a copy of the style, but i havent been able to find this on so far when researching.
thanks again
michelle

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
http://koti.welho.com/jstromb2/pala.htm
found one so thats a big tick, thanks again Dirk

Offline dirk.

• Members
... don´t let them know you don´t like the quality of their output!  :24:

...working on it...

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
 :24:  :pb:
thats what was putting me off the thought of it being Riihimaen, there stuff normally feels a bit nicer, this feels almost like recycled glass or actually the best way to describe it is its like milk bottle glass.
I normally like alot of the riihimaen/riihimaki but im not so keen on this to be honest, but hey who can argue at 50p  ;D
michelle

Offline dirk.

• Members
Like almost any kind of glass - except milk bottles perhaps - they look much better in uranium.  ;)

...working on it...

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I agree with Dirk. They come in a range of sizes, and colours and different textured patterns. I've had several of the teeny ones and I have a large (shy) uranium one  ;D with a very nasty chip  :cry:

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
oh yes i def agree found plenty now, whats the quality like on yours christine??

Offline TWave

• Members

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand