No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mark impressed in glass?  (Read 2398 times)

Offline butchiedog

• Members
Mark impressed in glass?
« on: November 09, 2005, 08:32:45 PM »
Hello,

I am attempting to figure out who used a mark like this on their glass.

http://tinypic.com/fjnw1z.jpg

and a drawing I did from how I see it in person.

http://tinypic.com/fjnpzq.jpg

I've run out of American makers marks to look at and thought maybe someone here might know who it belongs to.

Thank you for any help on this one.

Mike

Mod: Images have gone, may be replaced at a later date.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Mark impressed in glass?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 09:08:33 PM »
Candidates in Hartmann:

Vereinigte Zwieseler Und Pirnaer Farbenglasweke AG. 2 glassworks, Zwiesel/Niederbayern did Lead and Half lead crystal, the Pirna works did technical glass. Started c 1871 and this similar design is quoted as c1900

Gebruder Tasche Zwiesel/Niederbayern very similar mark and presumably a local landmark! No dates estimated 1895

Both of these had 3 stars above the tower, one curving up, the other curving down but as the example is a label a moulded interpretation is remarkably close.

WMF also used a dissimilar tower design.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline butchiedog

• Members
Mark impressed in glass?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 09:36:41 PM »
Wow!

Thank you very much Frank,

That's a bundle or more information than I ever expected to get.

Mike

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Mark impressed in glass?
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 11:57:21 PM »
I should have said - I am not certain it is a match, I will email you a scan tomorrow as you can compare it more easily first hand. Printed versions and moulded version can differ greatly so do treat this as a candidate. I have no knowledge of their production and Hartmann includes very little after 1950.

Connie

Mark impressed in glass?
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 12:35:05 AM »
Mike -

Before you get too excited.  Check out Capstan Glass of Connellsville PA bought out by Anchor Hocking.

See my item here - look at the last image

http://www.grayhorseglass.com/items/331001/item331001store.html#item

Offline butchiedog

• Members
Mark impressed in glass?
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 03:51:59 PM »
Hello again Frank,

The scans of labels you sent me sure do look a lot like the mark (the tower part especially) and I thought the other bumps and irregularities in the glass, very near to the mark looked awful close to what the rest of the designs on the label scans looked like, but seeing the link posted by grayhorse makes it very clear now that what I have is something different altogether and the bumps and irregularities are just that. Still;  I thank you for your help on this.

Mike

grayhorse,

Thank you, As you can see in the link below;  the item is rather utilitarian in nature and not much to get excited about,

http://tinypic.com/fk8ymb.jpg

but the help and information shared on this board is always something to get excited about in my opinion.

I am in the process of building a website for glass maker marks and a friend sent me the photos of her item for this purpose. I have never seen this mark  before, so it will make an interesting addition to my list, especially since it is related to other marks I have, for a company who it turns out purchased the concern which this tower mark belonged to.

Thanks you very much and thank you to everyone else here who shares their information and photos of their treasures.

Mike

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Mark impressed in glass?
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 05:55:03 PM »
Let us know when it is done and we can add it to our list of marks here http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,831.0.html

Offline butchiedog

• Members
Mark impressed in glass?
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 06:05:18 PM »
Frank,

Sure, I will be glad to do that and if anyone cares to donate any of their favorites I would be happy to have those as well if you will just email them to me.

The list I have at the moment is mainly made up of American glass marks, but we love and want to ID the glass from everywhere else too.

I'm mainly working with marks that were pressed into the glass at this time, but I am considering amending my list with acid etched and other methods of marking glass in the future.

Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand