No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ? Jaakko Niemi Ducks, Nuutajarvi Notsjo.  (Read 2647 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
? Jaakko Niemi Ducks, Nuutajarvi Notsjo.
« on: December 18, 2010, 04:51:47 PM »
Hi, I know we are all busy getting redy for Christmas,  but if yiu have a minute, olease could you look at this lovely pair of little ducks.  They are both signed Nuutajarvi Notsjo,  and I believe it is Jaakko Niemis writing,  but they do not have his signature.
Can anyone confirm they are by him for me please?
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: ? Jaakko Niemi Ducks.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 05:05:44 PM »
they are duly signed by the signing department, not by the master glassblower himself. But as to your question, I haven't got a scooby.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 05:06:47 PM »
Scandinavian Glass Fire & Sea (page 165) shows one of these ducks (teal blue head, black body) and the signature which reads: J.N. Nuutajarvi Notsjo 63. The caption states that they were designed in 1963 but does not say by whom, I think you are right Rosie, given the J.N. part of the signature.

The book is not always 100% reliable (especially with values) so I would not assume the design date is written in stone. Signatures are often added at the factory by the person whose job it is to do the signing rather than the designer, if the person in that post changes then so do the signatures.....

John

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 05:45:23 PM »
Thank you for all that useful info John and Ivo....I never knew that they were signed by someone else.  Having said that,  the signatures are so clear and beautifully written,  I considered them to be an art in themselves!!

I am so pleased to have 2 of these, and one still has the silver label as well. I made the assumption that they were Jaakko's work because the style is so simple and the smoothness of the glass and colour (teal) are the same as one of the little birds I have that does carry his signature.....I have shown them in Wuffs thread about Nuutajarvi glass today.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand