No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Signed Holmegaard Vase 15391  (Read 9278 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Signed Holmegaard Vase 15391
« on: November 09, 2005, 11:40:03 PM »
Is this a fake Holmegaard vase? It seems too good to be true at the cost of £3.75. There is a tiny fleabite on the rim but it is less than half a millimetre square.

http://www.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery/displayimage.php?pos=-364

How big is a Fleabite before it becomes a chip?

Any info on age would be much appreciated too. Thanks.  :) < (It always seems as if this emoticon is forcing a smile).

:D  < (That's better)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Signed Holmegaard Vase 15391
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 12:03:50 AM »
Quote from: "Tigerchips"
How big is a Fleabite before it becomes a chip?

Tiny on such a piece.

I used to have a vase that shape but am convinced it did not have a ground rim.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 09:42:48 AM »
I've got two of these - yours looks about right!

Although if it's a fake, then it's a world-wide phenomena:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7364593352

:lol:

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 10:34:27 PM »
Thank's, this is the first signed Holmegaard vase that I've seen outside of the media.

That fleabite worries me a bit though. Working in a charity shop I tend to be fairly cautious about fleabites.  :shock:

I laughed at that but I think everybody else may have frowned upon it. Probably thinking to themselves, I'm not buying any more Teddies from him.

Quickly changing the subject, there are quite a few vases out there with this kind of shape.

Before I picked the item up I thought it was Caithness. Of course, the weight was too heavy for that and when I turned it over I saw two Bars of gold light up in my eyes. I don't know where the third Bar went though.  :)

I think the only other signed piece that I had was, um, i've forgotten the name. It might begin with a "Kirk" and it's probably Scottish and the firm definetly makes paperweights. Anyway, it was thick glass and clear with blue wavey lines. Signed on the base "Kirk.... 1979".  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 11:59:19 PM »
It's fast getting so I can hardly move in my place for Holmegaard - signed or otherwise. My army of Caithness glass is waging an unwinable war against it.

It's oddly addictive, once you get started.  :lol:

I'm not sure how much this vase is worth - I picked mine up for under £10 a piece. Condition is really important with this kind of glass, though, because there's no decoration to distract the eye - so it's a shame about the fleabites.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 07:40:18 PM »
It took me approx 6 attempts to get the photo right.

I found that when I photographed it straight on, the flash just came back at the camera and ruined it. Tilting the camera at an angle did the trick.

This picture was taken too closely, if I had backed off a little it would have been even sharper.

Lately, I've been using Microsoft Office Picture Manager to adjust the  Midtones as my pictures are usually too dark.

Quote from: "Tigerchips"
I think the only other signed piece that I had was, um, i've forgotten the name. It might begin with a "Kirk" and it's probably Scottish and the firm definetly makes paperweights. Anyway, it was thick glass and clear with blue wavey lines. Signed on the base "Kirk.... 1979".

Selkirk, that's it, I think.  :)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 12:19:49 AM »
I saw one of these today in a lovely aqua blue... but the dealer wanted £60 for it!  :shock:

I *pft* at his price and he instantly dropped it to £30. I *pft* again, but to no avail.  :(

He was also trying to tell me that it was Finnish glass and wouldn't have it that it was Danish.  *tut* So I wandered off and bought 7 Holmegaard suncatchers elsewhere.  My window shall be an array of colourful dangly prettiness tomorrow morning... and will probably set my bed on fire!  :lol:

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 10:19:04 PM »
Make sure you're not in it when it does set on fire.  :lol:

I sold my Holmegaard for about £10 on a stall.  8)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 10:31:30 PM »
:o You could have sold it to me for that!

My bed didn't alight, thankfully. Though I did have an unusual alarm call when one of them decided to break in half in the morning sunlight.  :cry:

I'm not sure what the point of them is if they don't like sunlight. *sigh* I've removed the others, because I don't want to add any more to the casualty list.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 11:45:15 PM »
I also sold an Imperial Glass Co slag glass box thing for £30 and 3 Beswick koala bears for £10 each. And about 12 Blue Delft houses at £5 each. All of these are probably on Ebay or in another country by now. In total I made £270. I think £320 is my record so far. I don't get around a lot to make this much every week.

I prefer to sell these on stalls because it gives me a chance to buy things from other people.

For instance, while I was there I picked up three Lemington tumblers worth about £10 each... i hope. And two Disney items worth around £30 each.

Not forgetting of course, the Empoli (?) vase and a pressed glass bowl with ladies which I know nothing about yet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand