No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czech or Swedish vase ? - ID = Skrdlovice  (Read 3835 times)

Offline Tadpole

• Members
Czech or Swedish vase ? - ID = Skrdlovice
« on: September 03, 2010, 07:55:47 PM »
Good Evening  :)
             When I bought this it was labelled as Swedish. I thought it might be Skrdlovice, until I tried to read the signature. What I thought was a name on the base could say Sweden at the end ? I have been looking at it till my eyes hurt so I am hoping someone recognises it and can tell me if its Czech or Swedish or something else, and maybe someone can read the etching ? It is 8.5 inches high and very heavy.
                                                 ever hopeful    :D  

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Re: Czech or Swedish vase ?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 09:21:56 PM »
Could this be one of the pieces Helmut Ricke was writing about? In his book Czech Glass on page 218, he mentions at the picture of Jan Kotik's Propeller vase "Comparable pieces were produced at Aseda in Sweden after 1945".

Your vase does look a lot like Kotik's Propeller Vase, so the term comparable certainly applies, it would explain why it is inscribed 'Sweden'.

When I found a propeller vase myself a few months ago, I remember searching for more info on the internet on the Aseda version, but couldn't a find a picture or more info at the time.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 09:27:05 PM »
No real answer, sorry. The vase looks very good for Skrdlovice Kotik propeller vase though. I cannot help with the signature, but I saw a vase sold on ebay last year that was a different Skrdlovice pattern design with a Skansen Glass label on it. I still have not worked that one out either and wondered if the factory shop had bought in some glass and retailed it or something. Similarities to other Scandinavian vases have been discussed on GMB before though. The Aseda bjornvases (?) have been discussed previously and are definitely not Skrdlovice at all and some similar Magnor vases are not Skrdlovice designs they are different heights and colours.... and would not be mistaken by someone who has seen a lot of Skrdlovice glass though the techniques are similar, sizes and colours and exact usage of tools makes comparisons generally noticably a bit different.

Maybe some Scandinavian glass collector will be able to add more about your vase, though without the signature I would have likely presumed Skrdlovice for this one, most Scandinavian glass I would not easily confuse.....

A very interesting kind of post!

I see Astrid has just posted too.... The Aseda vases mentioned by Ricke, if they are the Bjornvases (maybe misspelt) then I think confusion with Skrdlovice is not that easy when one has seen a few of both. The propeller vase from Skrdlovice changed shape slightly over time and later ones in Czechoslovak glass review can be exactly this shape, whereas earlier propellers tend to be chunkier with thicker more distinct lobes.

Robert (bOBA)

Offline Tadpole

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 09:09:47 AM »
I have looked at the propeller vases online today  (as I didn't know that was their name) and it certainly looks like one.

Then I found the post you mentioned with Börne Augustsson "Börnevas", which led me to this link

http://precisensan.com/antikforum/showthread.php?t=19766

Ooo they look good , if only I could read it !       I think it is saying Aseda Glasbruk ? Maybe someone can translate the gist of it for me please ?

So your posts did help a lot, thanks, I will continue to look into this

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 10:05:40 AM »
I don't speak Swedisch, but the language has some vague similarities with Dutch. That and a bit of Google translation on various pages of Börnevasen makes me believe that they're discussing who actually designed the vase, made by Aseda. The opinion of at least one informed user seems to be that the design is by Borne Augustsson, and that not everything designed for Aseda in the 60s is by Bo Börgstrom.

The examples they are showing do show different lobes, maybe you can compare those? The Aseda vases seem to have a left-right symmetry of the lobes, they start and end at the same height and they are very reversed U shaped. My own propeller's lobes look different. They are lower on the right side than the left side, and they are not nearly as reversed U. Robert however states that Skrdlovice propellers have some different type of lobes, depending on age - I'm just not sure I have seen them as reversed U shaped as the Aseda ones.

From what I can see of your pictures, I still would have thought yours to be Skrdlovice. Maybe someone in its history thought it would fetch more money if it was Scandinavian instead of Czech? I think Scandinavian glass had an earlier rise in the collectibles market than Czech glass...

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 01:35:18 PM »
I decided to split the signature into two parts because I think the second part reads Sweden (see Below).  The first part I have to say is a genuine medical signature - only those who know it are likley to understand what it says!!!

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 09:27:02 PM »

"From what I can see of your pictures, I still would have thought yours to be Skrdlovice. Maybe someone in its history thought it would fetch more money if it was Scandinavian instead of Czech? I think Scandinavian glass had an earlier rise in the collectibles market than Czech glass... "

I like the above comment by Astrid.

The blue vase in the link may well be an Aseda piece. I don't recall seeing any Aseda signed like this.

The signature is a strange one. To write the word Sweden so clumsily takes some effort. Also, it reminded me that I remember some signed glass a while ago on GMB, being signed by the restaurant that owned the glass, in a "do not remove" fashion!!! If Scandinavian glass collectors do not recognise this as an established recognisable sig. then the very real possiblilty of Skrdlovice certainly remains,

Robert (bOBA)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 10:46:33 PM »
just an opinion from purely looking at your picture, but the lobes on your vase don't look, to me, to be the same as those on the vases being discussed as Aseda in the link  :-\
m

Offline Tadpole

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 11:19:22 AM »
Thank you all for taking the time to answer, it was well worth me asking on here. I have had a fellow glassie over today and we have read your posts and examined the vase and we both agree on the lobe comments and the signature probably being added at a later date.

So to sum up we are all leaning towards Skrdlovice rather than Aseda  ;D

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 03:40:56 PM »
Not that you need my input, but sticking my head above the parapet -- it's definitely Skrdlovice, and not Aseda.
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand