No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A Bengt Edenfalk horror story..... with a happy ending  (Read 2256 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
A Bengt Edenfalk horror story..... with a happy ending
« on: January 09, 2010, 07:00:04 PM »
This a long story so I hope you are sitting comfortably.

A couple of years ago I bought a copy of Smoke & Ice, a book on Scandinavian glass. While browsing through the photos I noticed (on page 73) a design by Bengt Edenfalk for Skruf of a bowl which resembles the cross section of a tree trunk. As well as a passion for glass I have long had an interest in wood, having worked with furniture and done a fair amount of antique restoration. Although it is not a great photo I thought the bowl looked very interesting and that I would like to get my sticky little paws on one.

The years passed.... Well one or two probably and towards the end of September 2009 I received an email from ebay. An item it seems matched 'my favourite' search, it turned out to be one of the aforementioned bowls for sale in a buy it now or make an offer listing. Oh goody I thought, "oh my word" when I noticed the asking price of just twenty five Pounds, the book quotes two to three hundred US dollars (150-200 Pounds depending on exchange rate). I will make an offer I though, then it occurred to me it was bl**dy cheap and while I was making an offer someone else would buy it. The seller did not have the best feedback record but I bought it anyway. I paid straight away and waited for it to arrive.

After two weeks I emailed the seller to check that it had been posted, the seller claimed to have posted it a few days before my email arrived. So I waited some more and then a little longer. After two weeks I checked at my local sorting office in case it was lurking there. It wasn't. And again after another week, still no joy. I emailed the seller and received no reply whatsoever. This was now around the time that the postal strike was gaining momentum here in Britain, so I waited a little longer (but not much this time). Eventually, after further silence from the seller I gave up and pursued a claim against the seller with paypal which was successful and eventually I was refunded.

At the beginning of this week I received another email from ebay telling me of another Edenfalk item for sale. Well knock me down with a feather it was another of the bowls I was after. Call me paranoid but the new seller was located in the same county as the other one, I thought it must be the same bowl. This 'new' seller had a worse feedback record than the 'original' seller but I thought "what the hell" if it doesn't arrive I will get my money back (again). The price this time was forty Pounds, still a bargain as far as I was concerned so I bought it. I thought, if it arrives great but I will not be surprised if this goes pear shaped too.

Well it arrived today, it is wonderful and I am a very happy bunny. ;D

Here are a couple of photos of the bowl:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-12183

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-12182

Out of interest, the photo of the bowl in the book shows the bowl mounted on a crappy little wooden stand which looks to me to be home made. Does anyone know if they were originally sold like this or am I barking up the wrong tree?  :D

John

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: A Bengt Edenfalk horror story..... with a happy ending
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 07:15:06 PM »
 :hiclp: :hiclp: This should be in Scandinavian glass not the cafe

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 07:41:56 PM »
Great tale of perseverance, well done John. Lovely piece of glass too, no wonder you kept going 'til you got one!

Suzy x

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 07:54:58 PM »
Hi John i have a vase in that design , its like a slice of log standing on its side , thought it might have given Whitefriars some ideas . jp

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 10:48:02 AM »
Thanks all, I have seen a photo somewhere of that vase you mentioned JP, can you add a photo to this thread for comparison?

John

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 04:08:17 PM »
Hi John i have listed one of my wooden plank like skruf vases on ebay tonight 8.30 will probably list the big round one next week , Regards jp    stgeorgio2007   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand