No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tall textured vase - ID = Oberglas  (Read 6151 times)

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
Re: Tall textured vase - no idea of ID?
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 01:24:09 AM »
Yes, I understand that, what I'm trying to establish is where that information came from... that is, how reliable is it, given that two major Czech glass authorities do not attribute this design to Hanus. Telling us which glass forum it was posted onto might help...

What I will do is ask for confirmation from the source, I am not in the process of playing two foums off of one another which I know you can appreciate.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 03:04:22 AM »
It's not so much playing the forums off against one another, it's just that we've found the norm (especially by eBay sellers) is for incorrect identifications. It's possible that the Hanus IDs stem originally from one mistake on the website Marcus mentions. Or it could well be correct - however, without knowing the source, we can't judge.

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 09:23:44 AM »
Yes, I understand that, what I'm trying to establish is where that information came from... that is, how reliable is it, given that two major Czech glass authorities do not attribute this design to Hanus. Telling us which glass forum it was posted onto might help...

The mystery continues, their source was indeed designhandlung.com.
Has anybody tried asking this website owner their source?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 10:40:35 AM »
source was indeed designhandlung.com.

Some of their items are indeed correcly identified. This one is not.

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 09:06:56 PM »
source was indeed designhandlung.com.

Some of their items are indeed correcly identified. This one is not.

This is "Similar",

http://picasaweb.google.cz/Jindra8526/FrantisekViznerSklo19592010#5461150337671351858

To add another clue, although probably very small, the base of my vase is patterned, like a very fine snakeskin pattern to the concave area.

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 06:12:43 AM »
I noticed that the German Gral Glas factory made some textured vases in the 60s. The examples I've seen online had a different texture from this one (those were attributed to designer Habermeier), but not so different that I couldn't see it being the same factory. Oerhaps it could be worth investigating further whether these vases were also produced by them.

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 08:42:34 AM »
Sorry Astrid but Gralglashütte was a quality maker and did not make the type of pressed vases that will rip your fingers open. I'll just mention Oberglas one more time...

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 09:43:08 AM »
I'll just mention Oberglas one more time...

I am still listening Ivo...........but wish we could find a labelled one! ;D

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 09:54:03 AM »

I have never looked at Oberglas closely until now and looking at this image http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/unidentified.jpg
The similarity is pretty striking, especially the pattern structure. Plus the base of another I have seen also looks like a fine snakeskin pattern as mine does.
I have emailed Oberglas today to see if they can help with a positive id, who knows, they may just answer ;-)

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 03:27:49 PM »

As an update,

I have today had a confirmation email from Oberglas regarding the vase as below, I emailed to ask if there were any back catologues and also attached images of my vase.

"Hello,

Unfortunately not but we have asked one of the employees who is working for Oberglas for more than 35 years and he definitely told that the inquired vase according to your photo has been made at Oberglas.

Best regards,
Petra

OBERGLAS BÄRNBACH GMBH
Hochtregisterstrasse 1-3
A-8572 Bärnbach"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand