No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 1940s Style Gold Dust Vase - Barovier, Archimede Seguso?  (Read 7201 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
1940s Style Gold Dust Vase - Barovier, Archimede Seguso?
« on: February 07, 2010, 06:40:16 PM »
This is a very large (9.5"/25 cm tall) and heavy vase.  It does not have the "cordonato d'oro" twisted bands, but I think Barovier produced this style of vase with sprinkled gold dust.  The trapped air bubbles are irregular in size.  Any help identifying vintage and producer will be appreciated.
Charles

Offline ardy

• Members
Re: 1940s Style Gold Dust Vase - Barovier, Archimede Seguso?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 09:32:20 PM »
Don't know much about Barovier apart from a bowl I own. Don't think it is A.Seguso as I haven't seen this form before but that is not a definite.

Someone will know more about Barovier and give you some ideas on that line hopefully. Barbini also used a form like this and that might be an avenue you could check out.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 02:24:41 AM »
Could you enlarge the pics please?

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 02:56:41 AM »
Charles:

I'd be a little concerned about the use of a straight cut to create of the rim of the vase. The rims I've seen have been more a nicely worked scallop. The shape seems a little off, too. Just noticed how big it is, and most of the pieces I have seen are much smaller.

It looks like Murano, from 50's or 60's, but I don't know enough to suggest a maker.

BTW, I read once that cordonato d'oro was the most copied style of the day, so a piece being cordonato d'oro doesn't automatically means it's Barovier and Toso. But all the cordonato d'oro I've seen has been pretty good,
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 04:22:41 PM »
The shape is very similar to a Barbini vase that  i own and it is pictured in a L Pina book in a claret colour.JP

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 06:02:15 PM »
Thanks all for responses.  I have a good degree of confidence that it's a Murano piece of indeterminate age, but if I had to guess 1950s (I've come to mistrust wear or lack of it as an indicator of age).  I'll try to upload a larger picture tonight, but this message board only seems to accept tiny pix from my computer.   :'(  From John Phillip I'd love to know (1) which Pina book?  and (2) does yours also have irregularly shaped controlled bubbles?  I love this vase, but 2 things I don't like are that the controlled bubbles are irregularly sized and shaped (not perfect, round, evenly spaced bubbles) and they didn't use as much gold dust as one often sees in very high end pieces.  Based on responses and further researches, I'm now thinking it's likely a Barbini rather than Barovier piece.  By the way, when I bought it from the antique store, I passed on the matching ashtray.  Maybe I should have bought it.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 09:33:21 PM »
Charles:

I had the same question for Johnphilip re the Barbini. What book and what page? In Italian Glass, the Barbini  piece closest to yours in is on p. 28., but the lip of the vase is gently scalloped, not cut, which was one of the elements that concerned me about you piece. More pictures would help. What's the width of the mouth of the piece versus the width at its widest point?

David

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 03:06:44 AM »
In answer to question, the width of mouth is 8 1/4" (21 cm) and 6" (14.5 cm).  Here's  larger picture.
Charles.

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 03:10:36 AM »
... and another close up, based on questions about the lip.
Again, thanks for any help.
Charles.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 06:45:58 AM »
Charles:

Much clearer pictures! The lip of the vase looks much better now. It looks more like a lip that Archimede Seguso would do, and he did some pieces in gold like this.

The vase has vary sharply defined waist, almost like the vase is made of two separate pieces, which is why I thought the overall shape was a little odd.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand