No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Brockwitz fish handle bowl - Fritz Scheiner ?  (Read 5766 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Brockwitz fish handle bowl - Fritz Scheiner ?
« on: November 11, 2005, 02:32:26 PM »
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/brockwitz2002.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/brockwitz2004.jpg

Just unpacked this 40s Brockwitz fish handle bowl.  Can't believe I won it - and for a song! :P   The auction photo was terrible and the bowl looked green and gold (reflecting surrounding colours!) AND incorrectly described/attributed - which was lucky for me (normally can't win an argument :roll: )  My photos don't do it any justice - the light conditions are not good - miserable dark, windy wet afternoon - but I'm HAPPY :lol:

I've seen another up for auction which states that the design is attributed to Fritz Scheiner.  Can anyone confirm either way please?

Many thanks.
Regards - Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 03:41:10 PM »
Yes, the Scheiner attribution is correct.
Freidrich Gottlieb "Fritz" Scheiner. 1894 - 1972

Information courtesy of Seigmar Geiselberger shows that Scheiner was a glass designer of importance. In an article written by Dietrich Mauerhoff for Seigmar dated January, 2004, Scheiner is shown to have been the artist behind lovely items from Brockwitz such as the Fish handled bowl (I have a pink one) and the Parrot bowl and vase (I have an amber vase which I adore). He also designed the wonderful centrepieces made by August Walther such as the Neptune, Belvedere, Hollanderin and Mo(e)ve.

I can't read or speak German, so if any of my comprehension (or spelling) is at fault, my apologies.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 05:17:16 PM »
Many thanks as always Glen :D   The Brockwitz pieces are, I think, magical and fantasy-like.   I've yet to convert my O.H. to my way of thinking, but I'm sure it will grow on him :roll:

Regards - Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 11:28:15 PM »
Scheiner joint Walther in 1932 and as far as I know all their figurines are Scheiner design. (see them all here, including the animal-handled Brockwitz bowls: www.pressglas-pavillon.de )
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand