No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: LARGE GREEN VASE - CANE EFFECT ON SIDES MURANO?  (Read 3314 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: LARGE GREEN VASE - CANE EFFECT ON SIDES MURANO?
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 07:42:52 AM »
I was vaguely wondering why what looks like current production Mandruzzato is described as 1960s on that site and also offered in other colours.  :spls2:

Apparently I also have been told that they are in a glass collectors book for a larger amount.

If a Miller's guide, you really shouldn't believe everything you read

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 08:38:02 AM »
Otis:

Do you have a reference for the book that was mentioned, which would make it a lot easier? 

If someone has offered a great deal of money for this piece, I'd say sell it. It has its attractions, but it doesn't look like older Murano. I don't know what Talisman is selling their stuff for, but it's interesting that they don't name one company for their sommerso pieces. They do say that fazzoletto were designed by Venini and Bianconi but they don't say that their fazzolettos are signed, as all Venini ones are. Right or wrong, it's the pieces that are attributed that get the money. I agree with Kevin that much of the Talisman stock is very similar to current Mandruzzato, check http://www.mandruzzato.ve.it/chi_Eng.asp

None of this proves that the vase isn't really good, but it doesn't inspire confidence either.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 09:28:52 AM »
When I look at this, the Sommerso to me is extremely good. However, the ribs on the side with cane work lead me to believe that this is still Murano. But most probably recent, within the last 30 yrs but not by a maker(s) we all love to collect to our own tastes.

But with the comments of this has been sighted in the UK many times, could this have been a piece that was imported more into the UK market back in the 70's/80's? Yet we may not have seen these elsewhere as they haven't shown up yet?

Just a thought on this  :spls:. And Alex's opinion would be appreciated.

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 12:42:25 PM »
Just to support JP, Max and Andy these vases are common at fairs, local auctions, 'antiques' centers etc. in and around London. From memory they started to appear around 5 years ago almost always alongside freshly imported Far Eastern repro 'antiques'.

I live a few hundred yards from Talisman, it's a very swish looking decor shop, but not a reliable source of information on glass. If I were offered 10% of what I suspect Talisman are asking I'd take the money and run.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 04:55:01 PM »
Kev I think the vases on the Talisman pic are the same height - it looks otherwise as they are staggered - just an optical illusion. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 05:27:27 PM »
Ok, I will concede the optical illusion of general size - which is probably enhanced by another illusion of the coloured section of the right-hand vase being somewhat deeper than that of the other one, added to yet another illusion of the right-hand vase being wider than the other!
KevinH

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 06:26:52 PM »
Yeah I think it's one of those optical oddities that happens with two same size items but different coloured items placed offset to each other - it plays tricks with the brain as it perceives the colours differently somehow. Always fascinates me that it happens.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 09:33:43 PM »
If this is the case! We can only hope the Chinese get bored with doing Sommerso pieces and move onto something else! ;D

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 10:04:26 PM »
Good looking piece of glass until you blow the pictures up and then it is the finish at the top that lets it down. It may be a Murano piece but certainly not from one of the major houses.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 10:23:25 PM »
Thanks to you all for your feedback and suggestive comments. I might just donate this vase to my local Charity Shop  ;D  With reference to David's question, unfortunately no.  I am trying to find out what book it is currently in.  As soon as I obtain this info.  I will let you and all concerned know.  Once again, many thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand