No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: LARGE GREEN VASE - CANE EFFECT ON SIDES MURANO?  (Read 3321 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
LARGE GREEN VASE - CANE EFFECT ON SIDES MURANO?
« on: February 07, 2010, 11:13:34 PM »
This vase was passed down from a family member a few years ago.  The vase is very unusual as it is very large and heavy and now not sure whether it is meant to be a vase or not. The vase measures 33cm in height and width 20cm. The vase, so I have been informed was purchased from a Charity Shop somewhere in East London.  It  looks familiar to the pattern design made by Murano. I have been informed that the item is no longer wanted and prior to probably putting it up for auction require information about it.  The family member in question, has been offered a rather large amount for this but does not really know if the person is having her on or not.  I have scoured the internet in search of any information regarding this unusual piece to no avail.  Can anyone provide me with any positive leads to include age and originator.     Kind Regards

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Re: LARGE GREEN VASE - CANE EFFECT ON SIDES MURANO?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 11:14:36 PM »
Additional pics.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 04:21:12 AM »
It is called a Sommerso piece, it is extremely delicious one at that as well. I might have to get back to this one later so i can see the pics more clearly as my work computer wont let me enlarge them.

Maybe this could be moved to Murano in the mean time mods?

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 07:59:13 AM »
They are turning up at most fairs i go to and have seen them at many Antique centers i believe they are repro .
What do other members feel ? hope i am wrong . They are well made .

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 10:40:19 AM »
I agree with JohnPhillip.  I'm making it my business to take photos of all those vases btw, hoping to get a website for them together at some point.

I am not a man

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 11:40:10 AM »
Im pretty sure these are recent Chinese, ive seen a few of them with those side pieces in gift shops,
and similar.
Andy

(I dont think its ever been to Italy)
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 01:02:27 PM »
I thought that also Andy but i was trying not to get myself in any Bovver  as i am such a gentle soul . ::)

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 04:02:59 PM »
 :pb:
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 12:14:08 AM »
Firstly, one would like to say thank you for your comments regarding this vase.  I have exhausted a lot of accumulative hours in trying to find any leads regarding this piece.  I was able to contact a company via. sources within the glass world.  The company is currently selling two exactly the same as the one shown in my pics. for a considerable amount second hand.  The size is exactly the same other than one of them is a different colour.  This particular piece was made in the 1970's and it certainly would be nice to get hold of the other one.  Only joking!  I now know that the person offering to purchase this, was not joking at all.  Apparently I also have been told that they are in a glass collectors book for a larger amount.  Can anyone elaborate any further on this?    Once again, many thanks for all your assistance on this matter.    Kind Regards   :thup:

http://www.talismanlondon.com/products/product.aspx?ID=1902&Action=FilterTyeps&IDSelected=Glass&Type=Accessories

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 12:59:51 AM »
Because I know almost nothing about Sommerso glass, I can only look at this thread with interest and wonder why there are reports of these style vases being seen in some numbers in fairs and gift shops (UK only??).

From the link that Otis has given to the page in the Talismanlondon site, I clicked the "back" icon and looked at the other sommerso items they have available. I am intrigued that there are several examples of cut and faceted pieces and just the two of the type discussed here. Also, I notice that the two in that website are described as "a pair" and "30cm height" but they are different colours and clearly different sizes.

With my Moderator hat on I will move this thread to the Murano forum and hope that others who may not have seen this will be able to comment.

KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand