No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can I remove these marks ? Walther satin finish . .  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Tadpole

• Members
Can I remove these marks ? Walther satin finish . .
« on: February 08, 2010, 08:33:17 PM »
Hello All  :)

I have just got the glass bug, and have speant the last 2 weeks buying bits from charity shops and a couple of things from Fleabay. After reading this site I was shocked to see in another members post that my fruit bowl, (the one in my kitchen with fruit in it) is a Walther Sonnenfische bowl.
It is now promoted to ornament.

It looks fine from a distance but up close I can see greasy patchy water marks on it. I have been hand washing it with the dishes for about 5 years so I am wondering if I have damaged it or if it can be rescued. I know nothing about glass, so would be greatful for any advice. If I tried to soak it in vinegar for example would I ruin the coating of the glass or is that not a coating but built in ? The bowl is shiney and glossey inside and dull and flat outside. Luckily for all its use It dosnt have any chips or damage to it.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Can I remove these marks ? Walther satin finish . .
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 08:46:25 PM »
Hand washing shouldn't have damaged it. I assume the marks are on the frosted side. It is possible that they are where the acid wasn't painted on thick enough to remove the surface properly. If you think they are "stuff" on the surface, you can generally have a vigorous rub (try a microfibre cloth and washing up liquid) at the frosted side without damaging it. They may just be greasy finger marks.

These things were made to be used, use it as a fruit bowl. I used a large Walther bowl as one for a long while till I found an Arabella to put in it.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 10:45:46 PM »
I've had some succes removing stubborn marks from satin glass using biological washing powder. I dissolve a little powder in hot water, then add some cold water so the solution is no more than lukewarm before putting the glass in (sudden temperature changes can cause glass to crack). Then after a brief soak I scrub it with a soft bristled brush - something like a nail brush should work - before thoroughly rinsing & carefully drying the piece. This was the only thing that worked to remove greasy, patchy finger marks on one of my satin Jobling bowls. However, as Christine says, the marks may be where the acid paste missed a little during the finishing....

Steven

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 12:57:18 AM »
Silly question, but you wouldn't have ever put it through a dishwasher at any stage?

Offline Tadpole

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 06:16:58 PM »
Thank you sooo much for your suggestions. The fairy liquid and scrub worked a little but the biological powder soak worked a lot  :hiclp:

I don't have a dishwasher, and I have always been careful hand washing it as I was told when it was given to me it was quite old.

I re-read your replys while it was soaking, it was the outside of the bowl that had the stains, acid paste, I had wondered how they did it.

It was in a bowl with a huge scoop of powder when I re-read to use a little, so I quickly rinsed and dried. I am so happy it looks wonderful again  ;D

I am going to collect Uranium glass and can't afford to buy anything as big as my fishbowl, so it will go in the middle of my display.

Thanks again

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 06:43:51 PM »
 ;D

What a wonderful bowl, and you must have been delighted to find you already owned something so gorgeous!  Funny how you can take something for granted for so long - I keep my garlic in an Iittala textured square vase I've had since the '70s and didn't think about twice until fairly recently.

I think you'll find oranges or tangerines go in your bowl beautifully.

For cleaning, I use biological washing liquid. A good tip is to put an old towel in the bottom of the sink if you're going to be soaking and/or scrubbing it. An old toothbrush is an excellent tool. Don't ever use a harsh scrubby thing! 
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand