Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass

Czech Chrysoprase Glass - who made it

(1/4) > >>

Frank:
Do any of you recognise the worn label from the Czech piece's on the first row of This Page? Also found in pastel pink ground and pastel blue grounds.

Or of course the pieces.

David555:
Hi Frank

Can you read any of the information on the worn label, I have a few new books on 1900's - 1930s Czech glass labels - the shape of one label looks like Karl Goldberg or Vaclav Dusek, but there are many with labels shaped like these. I have to say it (they) does look like a 1930s label shape wise.

I can't help but see the 'Cellophane' vases on the same page, remember I have one I thought was Monart, any progress

Thanks

Adam

Frank:
I had always assumed they were 1950's or 60's. All that can be discerned on the label is Czech and Chrysoprase Glass.

As to 'Cellophane glass', again the theory is Bohemia but apart from one report of it being seen at Passau Glass Museum this has never been confirmed. When I went there a few years ago, I could not find any and there was no one available to ask.

David555:
Hi Frank

Up until 1918 Czechoslovakia was part of Austria-Hungary which had within it Czech lands or the historical region of Bohemia. Most of the labels in my books up until 1918 have just the company name and region. They also often have the words 'Boheme', 'Bohemian Glassware/Crystal', or 'Made in Bohemia'.

After 1918 (around the 1920s) companies put 'Made in Czechoslovakia', 'Czecho', or 'Czech' on the labels although many retained the word 'Bohemian' in some way as it was a well established name with historical connotations.

The words 'Made in Czechoslovakia', 'Czech' or 'Czecho' occur regularly on 1930s - 1940s labels so I think your vase could be 1930s/40s, especially by its looks.

'Chrysoprase' as you will know is a gemstone (usually green) and I think it was used a lot by the Czechs - so this would indicate the 'style' or range of glass

I am sure you are aware of all I have said above, and that not having any other information about the company, 'Chrysoprase - a gemstone like glass' is the key word, there cannot have been many companies using this method or name for a range of glassware?

I will have a look for that key word

Frank:
chrysoprase glass is another name for aventurine, I have a bit more on where and how it is/was used in glass written down somewhere...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version