No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czech Chrysoprase Glass - who made it  (Read 7790 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Czech Chrysoprase Glass - who made it
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 11:15:45 PM »
I do see what you mean Christine or do you prefer Lustrousstone which is a very beautiful and apt name in this context

Why our very own English language is made up from Latin/Greek/Anglo Saxon with some other more exotic influence thrown in. I do agree with your approach, but I think the original 1840s Baccarat product name Chrysoprase is at least safe (Glass Museum) and that name was taken from the stone which I feel you broke down most eloquently in a previous post.

Can we both agree that however the minerals name was derived it is green and that the glass is green - that old uranium content.

That brings me to a question I hope you don't mind me asking - 'Uranium Towers' as you mentioned your job, does this relate to a scientific bent or a love of Uranium, fluorescent and Vaseline Glass.

I have to agree on companies taking words and throwing a subtle twist - in ‘Murano Board’ we are debating 'Aventurine' products, a word worth breaking down in itself, but for Nason we have the label for a product Avventurina.

Thanks

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 08:13:56 AM »
David Thank you for your reply (which for someome reason I've only just seen  :shock: ). I prefer being called Christine and Uranium Towers just seemed apt as we have shelves and boxes full of the stuff in all of the colours from Victorian to 60s. I do have a chemistry/biochemistry degree, mostly unused, but now I work with words a a technical editor on oil industry stuff, in the main.

Back to chrysophase. I emailed my Czech friend and this is the correspondence, with only the personal bits edited out.

ME

It's my turn for some help. I've become interested in collecting glass and have joined a glass message board to widen my knowledge. Anyway there is a big debate  (who made it and when) about a Czech glass vase with a label on it that says Chrysophase and Czech. Does the word mean anything to you? Have you heard it used as a brand name or in connection with glass ware? I can guess the lingistic roots of the word from an English point of view, but I was just wondering about it from a Czech viewpoint.

JOSEF

Chrysophase is not a Czech word and i have never heard it in connection with glass ware. Chrysophase is chrysoprase in English. In Czech we call this variety of Chalcedony chryzopras. I'd  guess the vase is apple green. Chryzopras used to be mined in Bohemia. It was used for decoration of chapels in Bohemia in the 14th century.

I was trying to find Chrysophase on the Czech Internet with no result. I have never heard it used as a brand name. If the vase is green i'd guess that the manufacturer used the word in order it would sound more attractive.

The answer doesn't get us any further but it was worth trying

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2006, 10:22:28 AM »
These also come in pastel blue and pastel pink.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2006, 11:45:29 AM »
Chrysoprase is the opaque Annagreen colour developed by Baccarat in 1848 and I do not think it was produced in great quantities.  Very easy to misspell for english speakers.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 12:38:18 AM »
Thanks Christine

I enjoyed your last post, very interesting it not coming up at all on the Czech search engines.

Chrysophase is not a Czech word and i have never heard it in connection with glass ware. Chrysophase is chrysoprase in English

As your friend Josef suggests 'the manufacturer used the word in order it would (vases) sound more attractive.

I can get no further than you after lost of searching - what do you think Frank? - Christine has had a good look and it seems to become more of a puzzle :?  :?

They are lovely vases all the same

Thanks

Adam P

P.S. Welcome back Ivo :)
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 02:40:05 PM »
New information.

Harrachov glassworks introduced chrysoprase c 1827 a coloured glass that is a mixture of uranium glass with bone or alabaster glass.

Spelling of chrysoprase corrected here and in other threads.

Obviously much earlier than this threads subject! But it does show the term was used by Harrachov. If anyone has a piece of this glass can they check if it is Uranium glass?

(Source withheld as part of ongoing research)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand