No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed glass hen/chicken basket. Pamela  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Gill

• Members
Pressed glass hen/chicken basket. Pamela
« on: February 10, 2010, 03:35:58 PM »
Picked this up the other day, I saw a quite detailed discussion of these on the Presglass forum but ended up a bit confused I'm afraid, mine looks quite like the ones with the crosses on the base but without the crosses. Any help with age and ID appreciated.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-12313
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-12312
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-12311

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Pressed glass hen/chicken basket. Pamela
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 04:46:14 PM »
Here in the US we these are known as the Polish Hen because an import reproduction outfit in St. Louis, MO sold these for several years & they were imported from Poland. Can't miss them because feather detail on neck is superior & the two cross bands just before the tail. Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 05:09:52 PM »
I had one of these years ago, and it reacted under UV, shone bright blue. If you have a blacklight/UV give it a go.

Offline Gill

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 06:20:51 PM »
Hi Ken and thanks, I think the moulding is pretty good as well, any idea as to age please?

Jonchellycane,  gave it a go and I must say all my did was to look very purple under the UV light, not sure if I could say it was a reaction really, good thing though because while I was waving my UV torch around in the dark I discovered a couple of other things.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 06:27:41 PM »
Purple is normal for non-reactive glass Gill. If it reacts (i.e. contains uranium) it will zing up bright green.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Gill

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 06:30:11 PM »
Yes, that's what I thought Anne, I was looking to see if it would go bright blue like the other one, thanks, GillX

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 08:31:52 PM »
Hi Gill,
Ken and many others are much better than me when it comes to hens on nest  :spls:

I gave up trials to attribute them many years ago - it makes me nervous counting eggs, feathers, basket lines... Please forgive me...
  :pb: !

Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Gill

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 08:48:13 PM »
Hi Pamela, yes I got a bit confused looking at the trread on the presglass forum!  By the way the post title was supposed to read    Pamela?  as an invitation to you.  Without the question mark it looks a bit abrupt, sorry.....good to hear from you anyway, cheers, Gill

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 01:40:09 AM »
Purple is normal for non-reactive glass Gill. If it reacts (i.e. contains uranium) it will zing up bright green.
Anne, can you please expand on what you mean by the first sentence. If the glass is "non-reactive" then there should be no visible colour as a result of the uv light. However, there can sometimes be an apparent purple tint (more typical with clear glass than blue?) which is either a reflection of the tinted coating of the tube / protective filter or it could be true visible purple light emitted by the uv bulb but not fully filtered by the coating.
KevinH

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 07:22:06 AM »
Lead crystal gives a light blue glow under UV light, cadmium gives a yellow glow, manganese gives a dull green/yellow/orange, selenium (I ithink) gives a pinkish glow...(there's certainly something that gives a pink glow)

But if you are testing for uranium (rather than just messing about enjoying the effect), you shouldn't be doing it in the dark because if you can't see the glow in daylight, it isn't uranium.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand