No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help wanted to Id three (now two) Murano glass books  (Read 3270 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Help wanted to Id three (now two) Murano glass books
« on: November 12, 2005, 06:46:34 AM »
I would be grateful for help with identifying the three Murano glass books shown in the photograph below, together with some additional information, as my notes on this photograph seem to have disappeared.

Click on the image to enlarge in a new window.   This is an unmannerly w640 x h480 pixel image, optimised to 59Kb file size.    My apologies for this, I do not often impose images in excess of the conventional user friendly w400 x h300 / 32Kb limits, but I felt that it was important here to retain as much image quality as possible.

Book 1

Top left, mostly hidden by a shadow.

I would be grateful for author(s), full title, publisher, date of publication, and language(s) used.

Book 2

Top right, mostly concealed by book 3.    I think this is a paperback, but I could be wrong.    The short title on the cover seems to end in a date, possibly 1949?.

I would be grateful for author(s), full title, publisher, date of publication, and language(s) used.

Book 3

Open in the centre of the image.

I would be grateful for author(s), full title, publisher, date of publication, and language(s) used.   Also I would welcome the page number it is open at, and a summary or transcript of the text on the red vase shown (please indicate which).

Thanks for your interest.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 07:56:50 AM »
top left is a Schiffer book - don't know which one.

The concealed one has the title .....ICE 1940 - and you may assume the ice is from venice. It is a paperback. The lower text probably says "publications" and I would not be surprised if it were preceded by the word Rizzoli - it is that type of font.

As for the open book, there is insufficient detail left in the picture to see which page or even which language it is in. It is hardcover with dustjacket.

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 08:47:03 AM »
Book 2 is MURANO glass since 1940

DR FISCHER
HEILBRONNER KUNST-UND AUKTIONHAUS 161 pages
it's based on an auction 16/10/1998

In English and German.

To quote Great-glass.co.uk

Murano Glass since 1940
Dr Jürgen Fischer, 1998 (Heilbronner Kunst- und Auktionshaus, no ISBN number, about £20.00)
The catalogue of a private collection of Murano glass sold in October 1998. Plenty of colour photos of sumptuous pieces, some of which I have not seen illustrated elsewhere. The text is informative, but so atrociously translated from the German that you may get a headache trying to figure it out!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 08:52:31 AM »
So much for blatant speculation  :D

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 02:09:49 PM »
Ivo and taylog1, thanks for solving part of the mystery.    Also, taylog1, grateful thanks for re-sizing your image, although I am surprised that my system coped with the 67Kb file size.   Perhaps it is just the larger dimensions that crash my system.

Here it is again at 18.2Kb, almost a quarter of the original file size, and, as far as I can tell, no loss of image quality.   I just right clicked and saved it in My Pictures, dragged & dropped it into IrfanView, and saved it with the compression slider at the top right set at 80%.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 02:19:59 PM »
Interesting, I was using Irfanview also, but image resize/resample - much below what I set and the quality collapsed.

I also had a flick through my Quittembaum catalogues, and whilst there are a few other vases apparently from the same series, not this piece.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand