No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Heavly designed frosted glass bowl - Kosta Boda??  (Read 4034 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Heavly designed frosted glass bowl - Kosta Boda??
« on: February 12, 2010, 01:07:07 AM »
This bowl measures 9.5cm in height.  The top dia. 13cm and the base 10cm.  On the base of the bowl is pressed SWEDEN and there appears to be a horse in the centre.  I have been told that it could be Kosta Boda.  Can anyone confirm this please.  Many thanks

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Heavly designed frosted glass bowl - Kosta Boda??
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 01:30:00 AM »
Is that a BODA label I can see in the top photo Otis? Right down at the bottom of the side. I've zoomed into your pic and cropped a bit out as a detail to show the bit I mean... attached below...
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 01:36:41 AM »
I am sure you have eyes like an hawk.  I did not see that label at all.  You have certainly surprised me there.  Thanks Very much for pointing that out.  I think I will have to visit the opticians! ::)  Once again thanks Anne.  I suppose that now answers my initial question.

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 06:36:40 AM »
Morning Otis,
I can see that Sweden is spelt in German and in English on the base, suggesting that it was either made for export or was imported.
The horse on the base is a Dalecarlian horse or Dalarhäst, folkloric symbol of Sweden.
Perhaps this was made to celebrate a specific event; there is a building with the "Tre Kronor" or "Three Crowns" above it. I'm not familiar with Swedish buildings, so I don't know which one it is, sorry  :'(
Could you describe or photograph the rest of the motif?

The bowl is reminiscent of Kjell Engmans "Sweden" bowl but it isn't that one and I'm not certain that is Boda, mainly because of the "Schweden Sweden" on the base,it doesn't feel right.

I may be way off base here, if so I'm certain that someone will correct me! ;D
with best wishes,
A40ty

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 08:01:03 AM »
Kjell Engmann is correct.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 11:35:32 AM »
Hi all,  I have attached more pictures that will hopefully assist you with a more positive identification. There is a picture of a woman holding a fish and around her is water.  There is a rather large building with birds in flight above. Looks a bit like the Whitehouse with some sort of monument or point just above the structure.  There is a man with a deer that has antlers, also there is four rather large trees around the bowl.

I value your comments and hope this will confirm what I Ivo has said.  Once again, many thanks.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 11:38:44 AM »
Additional pic.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 12:48:50 PM »
I've one of these (somewhere in the attic) - this is the thread for it:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,18437.0.html
(unfortunately the photos have gone and I can't find them on my computer - I'll have to reshoot at some point - but it is the same bowl)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 01:49:14 AM »
Hi Pinkspoons.  I have looked at the thread and can see similarities, however the pictures are different.  If possible I would like to see the base of your bowl if it is not too much bother.  Could you tell me if you have a picture of the Kosta Boda Kjell Engman Sweden bowl?

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 06:20:09 AM »
Hi Otis,
Try Kosta Boda's website. There are pictures of both Sweden and the Rhapsody bowls there. :) But no base picture..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand