No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sqiggles on a "Fratelli Toso" bowl-  (Read 1350 times)

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
Sqiggles on a "Fratelli Toso" bowl-
« on: August 29, 2010, 01:40:21 AM »
Hello oh knowledgeable ones
 Came across a bowl commonly called 'Starry night" with the usual attribution of Fratelli Toso= question, which way did the swirls usually go, clockwise or anti clockwise? It has the loose organic shape, clear pulled under lobes and is in opalescent class with a topping of lattimo, bits of green and a sprinkling of copper aventurine. No picture as I just want to know the clockwise or anti- being bookless AND glassless is the pits- bits of knowledge are just falling out of my brain at a great rate of knots!!!
regards from a VERY cool West Aust.
Carol
Carolglass

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Sqiggles on a "Fratelli Toso" bowl-
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 02:57:13 AM »
Counterclockwise. A good diagnostic for Fratelli Toso that can help distinguish their work from Chinese look-alikes is that Toso pieces were counterclockwise as you look down at them. (And their vases swirled upward left to right, instead of having a reverse swirl.) I can think of no definitely attributed examples that go against this, though I'm sure that if we look hard enough we can find them.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 09:21:49 AM »
 :rah:Many thanks Anita for the information, I had a feeling that it was counter but needed to check with those of knowledge. regards Carol
Carolglass

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
I checked my starry night bowl pictures this morning and have to make a correction. Most of the swirls are counterclockwise, but if there is a center swirl, it is clockwise. I checked pictures of the two starry night vases I had and their swirls were mostly clockwise. (This really makes sense if one considers that looking at vase walls is like looking at the bottom of the bowl instead of inside of it. Things would be reversed.)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand