No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anyone purchased anything from www.modernistglass.com?  (Read 3247 times)

Offline gfirob

• Members
Anyone purchased anything from www.modernistglass.com?
« on: February 12, 2010, 05:44:15 PM »
Has anyone dealt with Peter Hattaway at Modernglass.com in New Zealand?  I am interested in a couple of his pieces but I have no idea whether or not his site is genuine.  Anybody know?
Thanks for your help.
Rob

Offline Daniel S

• Members
Re: Anyone purchased anything from www.modernistglass.com?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 06:02:41 PM »
yes i know him, his a very honest guy.

Feel free to post any items and me along with many other here will help you determine if the items is good or not.

Offline gfirob

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 06:09:56 PM »
Thanks very much.  I am looking at these items on his site:

1) Huge signed, labelled 1950s Bengt Orup vase for Johansfors
Reference: 2790

2) Tall (15 inch) signed 1950s Landberg Orrefors off-centre vase
Reference: 2678

Thanks again for your help.

Rob

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 07:05:43 PM »
Both looks good.

If your looking for a similar Landberg pieces they are often are very cheap. 10-20 USD, but they are then standard pieces.

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 07:15:35 PM »
Gfirob, as with any site ask lots of pertenant questions- Peter and Vivian have worked very hard on their business and have contacts/buyers in all the major glass areas. They started in a small way selling glass on Trade me and I have quite a few of the early ones-never had to send any back. Also they throw great parties, as with all enthusiasts , glass has now a major role in their lives. Trade with confidence but I repeat-ask all questions to satisfy yourself, also do price comparisons with the same item. regards Carol
Carolglass

Offline gfirob

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 07:27:01 PM »
Thanks very much for the helpful replies.

Daniel S, I have several of the Landberg pieces in this series myself which I have purchased much more in line with the prices you suggest, but I have never seen one this big (15").   Do you think the price is unfair?

Carol, thanks for the personal perspective.  My only references are the books most people have and what I see on the internet.  I have sometimes purchased very nice glass for very little, but never anything very large or very complex—and often with one kind of small flaw or other.  This is why I am looking at a dealer.  And as I'm sure you know, prices vary wildly across the international spectrum.

Incidently, I have been to New Zealand and it was a lovely place, with wonderful people (rather like the English, but much warmer).

Best to you both

Rob

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 08:08:44 PM »
Prices are always controversial to speak about, its all about how much anyone want to pay at the end.

If you buy both they might be able to make a better price, at least it doesnt hurt to ask.

Last expo piece I saw similar to this was a year ago at a live auction in Kalmar, 50 kilometres from Orrefors. End price approx 50usd. So you dont see them as often as the others

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 11:25:14 PM »
Incidently, I have been to New Zealand and it was a lovely place, with wonderful people (rather like the English, but much warmer).
Hmmm, I'm not sure what some of the Maori would have to say about that. :-\
KevinH

Offline gfirob

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 12:34:08 AM »
Have the Maori spent time with the English?

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 07:41:11 AM »
Rob:

I've only bought a couple of things from them, but I've also exchanged emails with them a couple of times. I've found them to be very knowledgeable, honest, and deeply committed to  glass.

Price is much more personal. You are going to pay more for glass from a reputable dealer than you will pay on eBay. I have a couple of versions of the off centre vase and another Orup piece they show, the Hyllinge one. I paid less for them on eBay but I knew I was taking a chance, especially with the Hyllinge piece, which I've never seen again. Yes, you will pay more, but you know exactly what you're getting.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand