No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: NASCO Japan - swirled orange and purple cased vase  (Read 13077 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
NASCO Japan - swirled orange and purple cased vase
« on: February 13, 2010, 07:11:53 PM »
I only bought this because it had a label :) but my research is fast grinding to a halt.
Everything I can find on NASCO is about china rather than glass.  Were or are they, a group of stores?  Was this piece perhaps imported to be sold by them?  The sticker doesn't state 'made in Japan' but merely 'Japan'.  Height is 19.5cm

It reminds me of vases I have seen marked Alrose (Italian?).  It is white interior, quite thick, then the layer of swirls then cased clear.  The rim is polished.
Does anyone have any ideas on this one please?
many thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: NASCO Japan - swirled orange and purple cased vase
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 09:31:36 PM »
Know what you mean about the similarity, wondered where the Nasco ones were coming from (never seen one with a label before :clap:), only started seeing them about 1-2 years ago. They may have been around before but I had never noticed them. Also found in blue and green swirly versions.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 10:36:07 PM »
mm, actually I should correct myself, when I said 'marked Alrose' I haven't seen them 'marked' Alrose I have only seen them attributed to Alrose.  I don't think I have seen one in my searches with a label on.  However this reminded me of them.
It only cost me £3 and I just thought it would be interesting to know where it was made if possible.  I've never seen one before.  I'll keep an eye out.  It came from a very small oddity shop full of all sorts of ephemera and not much glass.
thanks for replying.
m

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 10:19:01 AM »
Nasco is an import/export company. Is a generic label. Your glass would be extremely newish in origin. Although thankfully you bought it for a reference source. Maybe Chinese in origin or could be Japanese. Absolutely no distinction with the labels.  >:(

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 10:26:22 AM »
I would have said that style of label dated from the 1950s/60s. Japanese companies seem to have been big importers to the UK then but generally of products made in Japan.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 08:45:48 PM »
Many thanks Kane and Christine :)
I'll continue to have a search around.
m

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 04:36:00 AM »
I have managed to come across this though while persuing Nasco at work for a bit of fun...i tried through google.co.jp...hoping I might get better results...sadly no!!!

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Nasco-Purple-Glass-Vase-wGold-Trim-5621578.html

:pb:

Back to the drawing bored... :sleep:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 07:34:33 AM »
Well that's definitely not Japanese, Empoli probably.  I still don't think your vase is modern or Chinese, maybe Italian. A lot of the importers had/have stuff made specifically for them so we may never know the answers.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 10:56:37 PM »
Thanks both  :)
Kane, good find as I found no glass labelled with the Nasco label on my searches however I'm going to use a different search engine and see what that throws up.
Christine, my thoughts are my vase is definitely not Japanese as if it was I suspect it would have 'Made in Japan' on it.   I do think it is older rather than more recent, and I don't think it is Chinese.  That said, it's probably because I do have some cased glass that I believe is Chinese and this vase has a much more opaque thicker lining than those pieces and is a much more substantial piece of glass all round.  However, I have also recently seen cased glass that I had thought was Chinese (seen quite a few of them around and about suddenly) which does have a thicker white inner lining  :-\ plus as John mentioned, he has suddenly noticed these more recently.
My gut instinct when I picked it up was Italian.  Then  again I often play the guessing game on here just to see if I am learning anything  ;D and find out I was totally wrong ::)
Note to self - next time buy something with a label which says 'made in...' if I want to research it :)
Thank you to all for your valued input and thoughts.  They are much appreciated.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 07:34:30 AM »
Over here in the UK where there was no requirement for country of origin labelling much post-war stuff from Japan and Germany was simply labelled Foreign for obvious reasons, so I wouldn't expect a Made in Japan label. There is and was a glass industry in Japan though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand