No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Red Vase ID help?  (Read 2132 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Re: Red Vase ID help?
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 08:30:40 PM »
Hi there
not really, just shine the tourch onto the glass if the glass lights up bright green then its Uranium (other chemicals have different reactions). It can be seen in daylight but i like to do mine in the dark just for the effect  :D.
To take a picture just turn the flash off the camera and it should show up fine (sometimes a little difficult juggling light and camera so might be worth putting camera on a steady surface to take the picture
michelle

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline janton77

• Members
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 11:08:36 PM »
Hi Michelle, thanks for your time again and after setting out as below there is no Uranium or other chemicals in the vase...
I will find another piece that I do think has Uranium and test the torch out just make sure its doing its job!

Kind regards

J

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 08:32:41 PM »
there is plenty of it about, when we walk around fairs my 5 year old son carries a little UV tourch so he can shine it on anything which may be Uranium (he does tend to shine it on almost everything at the moment but he is learning ;D)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2010, 01:39:40 AM »
Very nice David. I tend to overlook these block and facet cut sommerso pieces. I do not think I have seen one of these with a tinge in the clear glass.  :huh:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline janton77

• Members
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2010, 11:01:12 AM »
My 9 year old is desperate for me to start unpacking all my glass again so he can get the torch at work...
In regards to the original piece, shall I label it Murano unknown or does it go in the dreaded unidentified section!

Kind regards and many thanks for your replies

J

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand