No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: LARGE CLEAR GLASS FRUIT BOWL - ID = Libochovice, Czech  (Read 5968 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
LARGE CLEAR GLASS FRUIT BOWL - ID = Libochovice, Czech
« on: February 13, 2010, 11:01:18 PM »
A rather large fruit bowl with four legs.  The bowl measures 14.5cm in height.  The dia at the top measures approx. 23.5cm dia which includes the pattern design around the bowl.  Within the bowl measures 10cm in height.  This is very deep indeed. The bowl itself looks as if it was put in 3 sections as there are 3 jagged lines running down the sides compared to the other lines running down the sides of the square patterns on the outside of the bowl.  They are round circles around the bowl that measures 2cm dia. and look like magnifying glasses.  The base dia. of the bowl is 16cm. the supports are thick and the width measures 2cm and the height 3.5cm.  There is a lovely pattern design on the base of the bowl which can be seen in the pictures.  I have been informed that the bowl is Victorian but I am not convinced.  It is extremely heavy and has that crystal look appearance.  The bowl is discoloured which may suggest it's age.  Can anyone identify this please.  I would like to know the originator of this such beautiful piece.    Kind Regards

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Re: LARGE CLEAR GLASS FRUIT BOWL - VICTORIAN?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 11:02:42 PM »
Additional pic.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 06:32:30 PM »
Not Victorian, and not English Otis. :)

Made by Libochovice, in Czechoslovakia, one of the Sklo Union factories. Certainly was around in the 1950s, maybe earlier. Yours might be missing a lid as many the open pieces in this pattern have a castellated top.

This pattern was used for a wide range of items, for details of the range see the CD database with Marcus Newhall's book Sklo Union Art Before Industry: 20th Century Czech Pressed Glass

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 12:39:47 AM »
Incidentally, that's another essential book. Can't recommend it more highly.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 12:52:49 PM »
Thanks Ann.  I obviously was leading up the wrong garden path with this one.  I will certainly look into getting the book suggested.  Once again, many thanks for your assistance on this subject.. :thup:

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 06:32:05 PM »
I have searched and unable to find one with a lid.  I have checked the bowl again and not sure as to whether it should have a lid or not.  There are curves all around the top of the pattern design. Has anyone got any links one like this?

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 07:04:05 PM »
Czech? I think it's in Marcus' book/database  :) Shall have a look later  :)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 07:17:45 PM »
Libochovice seems correct, and could also be used upside down (your 00703) as base to carry a larger bowl forming a centrepiece (how cool is that?!?)  :24:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Re: LARGE CLEAR GLASS FRUIT BOWL - ID = Libochovice, Czech
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 03:04:14 PM »
Many thanks to you all, for the interest and positive identification.    :thup:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum