No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown Monart Shape  (Read 2651 times)

Offline luckyslap

• Members
Unknown Monart Shape
« on: February 14, 2010, 03:20:35 PM »
I hope this provides some interest to you all. I have just obtained a further addition to my perfume/ink bottle collection. It is 5.5" high including stopper and 3.25" square on the base(as square as it can be!). The label is pre war and the only distinguishing mark on it is a size code of VIII. The retailers label is Watsons China Shop Perth. The six pointed star on the stopper is a feature of another Shape IE bottle I already have so could it be a design feature over the full range of stoppered bottles/decanters/jars or possibly something restricted to those sold by Watsons? Obviously further examples may shed some light.
I look forward to your commemts :)

Keith
Luckyslap.
You can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Unknown Monart Shape
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 03:42:07 PM »
WOWEEE JP  :thup: NICE

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 04:07:33 PM »
Nice find Keith  :mrgreen:

Offline Kiwi Bill

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 12:39:58 AM »
I second Franks statement, a very nice piece indeed and a good find. :mrgreen:

KiwiBill

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 01:23:04 AM »
The six pointed star on the stopper is a feature of another Shape IE bottle I already have so could it be a design feature over the full range of stoppered bottles/decanters/jars or possibly something restricted to those sold by Watsons?

It might be the case that Watsons had a monopoly on "stars in stoppers" as a "special" Monart design. But the six-point star was definitely used by Paul Ysart in his paperweights, and many of those have features which date them to the 1930s period. So it might make sense to believe that the pre-war "stars in stoppers" were a forerunner to Paul's Star Pattern paperweights - or that the paperweights gave an inspiration to the stopper design!!

Perhaps all the stars were initially set in an outline mould but during working many slipped about, and that is certainly the appearance of the one in Keith's bottle, which also seems to show a star outline in mottled blue below the "untidy" parts of the aventurine.

So far, I have not seen or heard of a Star Pattern paperweight that could be attributed to Salvador and that may be an indication that only Paul worked with stars. But that is an unproven thought on my part and should be treated with a very open mind.

Paul's Star weights also had five points, so maybe that variation could also be found in pre-war stoppers?
KevinH

Offline luckyslap

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 10:50:41 PM »
Thank you for your comments Kevin.I didn't think to look at any paperweights to assist me and I agree in this case the aventurine in the star is sparser than you might expect The other bottle stopper contains a much more"solid" star which I will try to post a picture of.

Keith
Luckyslap.
You can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 05:59:22 PM »
 >:D

You are "lucky" indeed to have such a gorgeous beastie, Keith, and thanks Kev, for your fascinating thoughts.
 :thup:
Happily remembering you both from the conference in Perth!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 06:26:51 PM »
And from a brief chat during at least one of the fairs at Gaydon, Sue. 8)
KevinH

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 07:28:47 PM »
Of course, Kev, but only Keith at the conference, and your talk there was the most interesting and memorable to me, so - that's where I always think of you.
That, and your lady wife's beautiful foil beads - because I have a passion for them too. :thup:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 09:57:40 PM »
... and your lady wife's beautiful foil beads ...

Oooohhhh! What was I getting up to?
To the best of my knowledge I've never had a wife.
:spls:
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand