No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old Champagne coupe. Age and maker?  (Read 2682 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Old Champagne coupe. Age and maker?
« on: February 14, 2010, 03:21:27 PM »
A nice old Champagne coup with a ground pontil (a little rectangular one), olive cuts and lovely wonkiness. I wonder whether these glasses
with single rows of olives cuts were made locally, as I also have two sizes of liquor (without pontil marks, presumably gadget held). They
are not lead crystal and are not top quality but they are fairly common round here (Warrington, south Lancashire). I love them and use because they're old.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline herb_62

• Members
  • Glass Mad Annie
Re: Old Champagne coupe. Age and maker?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 04:38:32 PM »
Love it.  Got loads of them many of which followed my grandparents down from Charnock Richard so they too have a Lancs connection but I think they were made by various manufacturers.  Most of mine are crystal with wondeful rings and have circular ground pontil marks.  The facets cut on the bowl vary from oval like yours ro square topped to round with one or two rows of cuts.  Each one has its own distinct character and I love using as well as looking at them.  Glass is such a tactile obsession!

I'm selling all of mine so check out my link on the Marketplace board if you are interested.

Listing them as fast as I can list and pack.

Annie xxxx

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Old Champagne coup. Age and maker?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 10:19:55 AM »
Can a Mod change coup to coupe  :-[ please

You kind of missed my point PJ 
Most of mine are crystal with wondeful rings and have circular ground pontil marks.

These aren't and there was at least one glasshouse in Warrington and more in and around St Helens 10 miles up the road. I know window glass and bottles were made in St Helens and pressed glass in Warrington, but I don't know what else was. That was why I was wondering if they could be local. The quality doesn't justify much in the way of transport costs.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 05:07:30 PM »
well, I must be ignorant.  Frankly I had never previously heard of the expression 'Champagne coupe' (obviously I don't get out enough), and my glass dictionary (quite a good one) avoids this reference  completely.   I am aware of what is termed 'flutes'  -  in use from about 1770 to mid C19, and then the 'BabyCham' style glass in the C20.   May I quote an extract (purely for edification Mod.)from my dictionary...........""others have erroneously stated that glasses similar to a sweetmeat glass, but with a smooth rim, were for Champagne".    Do we understand from this that the mid C20 BabyCham glass is the equivalent of this earlier 'sweetmeat glass"??    Having said all that the reason for this post is that I have a glass from early this morning similar to Christine's 'coupe' - pics. attached  -  which has on the base an etched mark thus.....=S=.    Don't think it shows in the pic. very well, and I can't find a reference to this mark in Ivo's book.   Help please - is my pic. what wud be termed a 'coupe'?   I        Also, I have tried Webster's and the Shorter OED, and I still can't find reference to a Champagne Coupe :'(     Paul S.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 05:16:51 PM »
sorry, made a cod's of that.     Herewith are the pics. and wud add also that the bowl is about 65mm diameter and overall height is about 102mm.    Paul S.

Offline herb_62

• Members
  • Glass Mad Annie
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 06:07:37 PM »
So what should want most people seem to term a champagne saucer or boat be called? Most of the ones I have (and I have quite a lot of them) date between mid Victorian and Edwardian. 

Unedumacationated Annie xxxxx

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 07:55:45 PM »
Hello Annie.      Presumably if you are going to use the term 'Champagne saucer/boat', then we are coming back to the Babycham glass shape???? - as opposed to Christine's 'coupe', or of course, the traditional 'flute'.    Do you have any of these 'coupe' shaped glasses??     cheers     Paul S.

Offline herb_62

• Members
  • Glass Mad Annie
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 08:11:03 PM »
Loads and way older than Babycham ... lol .... Quite a lot were my grandmother's who got them from her mum so mid to late Victorian.

Always thought of a flute as being a tall glass ... maybe that's just me.

Check out the Glass Market Place for my listings .... though not sure I've got any saucer/boats on at the moment .... but if you look at "completed" there were a few.  The buyers seemed happy.

Annie xxxx

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 09:05:13 PM »
you are quite correct  -  flutes are the tall thinnish thingies.    Paul S.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 09:54:14 PM »
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia