No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Slovenia? Small Painted Glass Decanter w/Stopper  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Jeff

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass ID
    • USA
Slovenia? Small Painted Glass Decanter w/Stopper
« on: September 22, 2013, 08:07:34 PM »
Hello,

I'm looking for help ID'ing this small painted glass decanter with stopper. It is colored glass and painted with a floral/scroll motif all around (4 motifs total) and stopper top is painted with a bluish circle.  Decanter with stopper measures 6"H x 2.5"D.

There is evidence on the bottom that this decanter once had a paper label.  I can see residue from the label, it was oval, with residue of text along the top and text along the bottom.  The top text has six characters, but I cannot make them out...I think the last character might be a "O." The bottom text has eight characters and looks like "SLOVENIA."

Thanks!

Jeff

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Slovenia? Small Painted Glass Decanter w/Stopper
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 12:07:48 AM »
Just Google SLOVENIA & you will find its origin. Probably a cologne (vanity piece) at 6" height.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 01:25:33 PM »
Jeff, welcome to the board. I'm wondering if your mark could actually read Czecho Slovakia (as written in two parts) rather than (something) Slovenia?  I think Slovenia is a fairly modern state whereas Czechoslovakia would fit with the probable age and style of your piece.

As Ken suggests above, I'd suggest a cologne / vanity bottle too. There is a pair of similar-shaped, hand-painted with a different design, ones marked Czecho Slovakia here: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400338396120
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Jeff

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass ID
    • USA
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 04:21:24 PM »
Hi Anne & Ken,

Thanks for the welcome and for yours (and Ken's) input.  I checked the eBay link you provided and this looks like a match, except for the different design. You all provide such a valuable service on this board, pat yourselves on the back!

Gratefully,
Jeff

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand