No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vicke Lindstrand Iceberg Vase  (Read 2241 times)

Offline 2ndhandDesign

• Members
Vicke Lindstrand Iceberg Vase
« on: February 16, 2010, 04:46:48 AM »
Hi. Picked this up today in an Antique shop. Is the correct title of these vases 'iceberg' - and does anyone have any idea what the current market value of these things are?

Cheers
Paul Kowalski
2ndhandDesign

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Vicke Lindstrand Iceberg Vase
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 05:46:07 AM »
I'm not totally certain  thats what is usually referred to as an Iceberg piece. Below is what is usually called Lindstrand Iceberg design. Ken

Offline 2ndhandDesign

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 05:58:18 AM »
Hi Ken. That does look more like an iceberg. I have come across an image of what looks to be a vicke lindstrand catalogue with the title smoke & ice with a similar vase to mine pictured on the cover. I have seen a reference to these vases  somewhere maybe a millers book but can't seem to find it at the moment. Cheers 
Paul Kowalski
2ndhandDesign

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 05:28:21 PM »
Paul I saw that same Lindstrand vase that was somewhat like yours in Smoke & Ice also & its a good vase. I will add though that if you are not familar with Pina (the author) that she collaborates on many glass books here in the US & her book values are so widly optomistic that it draws laughter from everyone....like four to five times what would be actually realised (or realized depending on where you are from). Nice photos, some good info, but ignore her book values. Ken 

Offline 2ndhandDesign

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 06:35:42 PM »
Hi Ken. I haven't seen the book only an image of the cover on the web, Im sure I've seen it referenced before, maybe in Millers Collectables 2008. Yeah you can never believe the prices they put on things in books, a shop owner may say something is worth x amount of dollars, but how long has it been sitting on the shelf waiting to get it? Auctioneers here in NZ often argue that the 'real' value of any item is seen when its put up in auction, but Im not sure if I believe that either! Cheers
Paul Kowalski
2ndhandDesign

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 07:03:41 PM »
Values, an ever shifting conundrum.

I would agree with Ken up to a point about the values quoted, generally too high except.... I once sold an item on ebay that had been valued in Smoke & Ice, it sold for double the quoted amount. Needless to say I was a surprised and very happy chappy.

John

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 03:56:26 AM »
Aspiration can equal value, but ultimately it is down to "I want" x depth of pocket and immediate competition.

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 09:56:37 PM »
This is one of the less common designs (at least don't appear for sale that often), but your number looks like one of the newer bits (originally numbered LS 544 and 545) - Planetglass had the taller one (22.5 cm tall) for sale in 2004 for $1200 - don't know if it sold for that price though.
If I had to guess, if good condition, and the smaller one, I wouldn't be surprised on Ebay re $300 +, but as Frank points out, it could be anywhere between $75 and $500 depending on demand.

good luck

Gareth

Offline 2ndhandDesign

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 12:39:13 AM »
Thanks for the info Gareth.
Paul Kowalski
2ndhandDesign

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia