No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rare Sklo Union Vase? Peceny Pat. No. 20040. Oversized at 250mm tall? HELP!  (Read 9252 times)

Offline Tim

• Members
Hi, I found this huge vase in a charity shop. It looks exactly like Frantisek Peceny's Pat. No. 20040, 1960, but is 250mm tall. Marcus's book and data base only list it as 150mm and 200mm. Have I found something unique? Or is this just a run of the mill vase, or am I just wrong?

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks Tim

Offline Tim

• Members
Just in case there is any doubt about the size of the vase I have added an image with a ruler next to it.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Hi...

I thought this was interesting...  I was just wondering, is it a Peceny vase?  And was it made in three sizes? 

Thank you :)

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Unfortunately I'm not at home and I can't check, but I know this particular vase is listed twice in Marcus' Sklo CD. Once as Libochovice, 50s as I recall, unknown maker pattern 959 (I hope I recall this number correctly, otherwise I will rectify it), and once as the Peceny 20040. There is a note under Peceny that this vase is the same as the Libochovice one. It could be that the size 250mm would indicate it's the 959 instead of Peceny's...

I was going to ask eventually if anyone could clarify this situation, but I hadn't gotten round to it yet. Have lots more urgent identifications lined up to post without hogging the board :).

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Marcus said somewhere (possibly on the board a while ago or possibly during a chat we had) that some patterns were made by two different works within the Sklo Union groups - i.e. that one or two sizes were made at one works, and other sizes at another, as a way of spreading the workload across what was a state-controlled industry to keep them all running. Load-balancing, if you like.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Ah, that would help me too! Since mine was 200mm and listed under both factories, I couldn't choose. This would indicate that I can still assume Peceny was the designer, regardless which factory it came from.

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Yup indeed Astrid. You need to remember that production wasn't seen in terms of each factory being a standalone unit but as being parts of the whole state-owned output then it makes sense.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Hmmm...   :-\

I was asking because in Hi Sklo Lo Sklo, on page 17, Mark Hill identifies this vase as Rosice no.959, designer unknown.  It was available in three sizes...  I thought that maybe Peceny had been identified as the designer somewhere along the line and I just missed it.

Thank you for the comments!

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
It is Rosice 959, Marcus has it in his database as well see the notice at 20040.
I have not find the confirmation of Peceny as a designer of this piece for the meantime.
see Glasrevue 1957/9.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Ah, so we still don't know if Peceny was the designer of this vase or not... 

Thank you, Jindrich  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand