Author Topic: Rare Sklo Union Vase? Peceny Pat. No. 20040. Oversized at 250mm tall? HELP!  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Tim

• Members
Hi, I found this huge vase in a charity shop. It looks exactly like Frantisek Peceny's Pat. No. 20040, 1960, but is 250mm tall. Marcus's book and data base only list it as 150mm and 200mm. Have I found something unique? Or is this just a run of the mill vase, or am I just wrong?

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks Tim

Offline Tim

• Members
Just in case there is any doubt about the size of the vase I have added an image with a ruler next to it.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Krakow, Poland
Hi...

I thought this was interesting...  I was just wondering, is it a Peceny vase?  And was it made in three sizes? 

Thank you :)
My Etsy shop with Czech glass: CzechGlassCollector

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Unfortunately I'm not at home and I can't check, but I know this particular vase is listed twice in Marcus' Sklo CD. Once as Libochovice, 50s as I recall, unknown maker pattern 959 (I hope I recall this number correctly, otherwise I will rectify it), and once as the Peceny 20040. There is a note under Peceny that this vase is the same as the Libochovice one. It could be that the size 250mm would indicate it's the 959 instead of Peceny's...

I was going to ask eventually if anyone could clarify this situation, but I hadn't gotten round to it yet. Have lots more urgent identifications lined up to post without hogging the board :).

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • ALAVNA Vintage & Collectable Glass
Marcus said somewhere (possibly on the board a while ago or possibly during a chat we had) that some patterns were made by two different works within the Sklo Union groups - i.e. that one or two sizes were made at one works, and other sizes at another, as a way of spreading the workload across what was a state-controlled industry to keep them all running. Load-balancing, if you like.

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Ah, that would help me too! Since mine was 200mm and listed under both factories, I couldn't choose. This would indicate that I can still assume Peceny was the designer, regardless which factory it came from.

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • ALAVNA Vintage & Collectable Glass
Yup indeed Astrid. You need to remember that production wasn't seen in terms of each factory being a standalone unit but as being parts of the whole state-owned output then it makes sense.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Krakow, Poland
Hmmm...   :-\

I was asking because in Hi Sklo Lo Sklo, on page 17, Mark Hill identifies this vase as Rosice no.959, designer unknown.  It was available in three sizes...  I thought that maybe Peceny had been identified as the designer somewhere along the line and I just missed it.

Thank you for the comments!

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
It is Rosice 959, Marcus has it in his database as well see the notice at 20040.
I have not find the confirmation of Peceny as a designer of this piece for the meantime.
see Glasrevue 1957/9.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Krakow, Poland
Ah, so we still don't know if Peceny was the designer of this vase or not... 

Thank you, Jindrich  :)

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand