No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: question re wfrs. vase pattern 8886  (Read 2429 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
question re wfrs. vase pattern 8886
« on: February 17, 2010, 08:00:55 PM »
I had some help from the GMB (last year), with confirmation of pattern No. re the small vase on the left, so of course when I saw the larger one yesterday I knew immediately what it was.    Can someone confirm if the bigger of the two (standing at 8.3/8") is the biggest in the trio  -  or might it be the middle sized one.   The one shown on the left is 5.1/2" high.   In the Jackson book the three sizes for this pattern are not given.     Grateful for any help, and my thanks for looking.    Paul S.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Re: question re wfrs. vase pattern 8886
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 10:20:30 PM »
Apparently there are supposed to be three sizes ( so say the catalogues) 11 "  /  8"  / 5.5"
But so far after about 6 years of collecting I have never seen an 11 " one.  I should think it would be pretty impressive!!  I like these a lot, but fairly under valued in my humble opinion.
This is one of my favourite colours ( 8")

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 01:19:01 AM »
Does any body know if this type of vase comes with a foot,posted this similar vase here and on the WF's site and got nowhere,Keith.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 09:30:58 AM »
I still am of the opinion yours is not Whitefriars Keith, but sorry can't offer any help on ID.

As far as I know the footed Whitefriars versions only came in the small size (5.5") and as you can see from this photo, the foot treatment is very different from yours .

I'd like to know who made yours and then I could put it (with your permission) on my Wannabee blog!!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 09:43:09 AM »
my thanks to both of you  -  and that plum colour is mouth watering, a very classy colour indeed, and much better than the pale blue.     If I do find an 11" one I will let you know, and as you say it wud be very impressive.      To be honest I really was expecting someone to say that the 8" size was the largest  -  shows how wrong you can be.      
Sorry Keith, I am not expert enough to comment on your piece  -  I see Emmi has in fact just beaten me to a reply, so I won't comment further other than to ask if yours has a ground pontil mark, and does it have any reasonable wear?      cheers                Paul S.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 09:57:28 AM »
Thanks,Emmi,Paul,it has a polished pontil and plenty of wear and despite it's colour non uv reactive,when and if I ever find out where it's from I'll post the results,you can use the image Emmi no prob's,
                                                              Keith.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 10:03:25 AM »
Thanks Keith....how tall is your vase? 

And yes, if ANYONE  comes across an eleven inch version, do please let me know.

BTW the colour of the 8 inch above is Amethyst - not a lot made in this colour!

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 10:11:02 AM »
8.25 inches,21cm for those metric people,

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 12:45:16 PM »
That lemon yellow could be ZBS (Zeleznobrodske sklo)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 12:55:12 PM »
Hi Emmi, all, for the record saw an Amethyst 11" a couple of years ago at a fair,  and yes they are huge wanted £90 for it.
Chris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand