No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with signed glass vase, thought it was Mdina!  (Read 2730 times)

Offline kathykate

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • All but love Scandinavian
    • UK
Help with signed glass vase, thought it was Mdina!
« on: July 04, 2012, 09:18:03 AM »
I picked up this little green vase with a signature, which at the time I thought said Mdina, but now I've realised I was wrong, but can anyone tell me who this is by?
Thank you!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Help with signed glass vase, thought it was Mdina!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 09:30:59 AM »
Looks like a Mtarfa sig

Offline kathykate

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 09:36:11 AM »
Oh yes, just looked up Mtarfa glass and the way the top is done is very typical of Mtarfa. Many thanks!

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 01:30:28 PM »
That is Mdina not Mtarfa - the tail of the f in Mtarfa usually drops down below the level of the other letters (if you see what I mean).

It is a Mdina colourway that is also found in pink. Another example in green here: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/LaterMdinaGlass#5430029590509790434

An unusual shape for Mdina though.

John

Offline kathykate

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 01:39:13 PM »
Do you think? I found this vase on 20th century glass website and it's Mtarfa, and the top is identical, even if bowl a little different, but that to be expected in hand made things?
http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/maltese_glass/mtarfa_glass.htm

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 01:46:04 PM »

Link here, scroll down to 4th row: http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/maltese_glass/mtarfa_glass.htm

Interesting though, I would have assumed it was Mdina without the signature. The signature of yours does look like Mdina rather than Mtarfa, can you get a better photo of it?

John

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 01:59:36 PM »
I think it is Mtarfa,  they can be quite 'sloppy'* with their writing! 

Here is one on eBay that is not dissimilar and also has the 'sloppier'* writing on the base.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRETTY-DECORATIVE-MTARFA-MALTA-GLASS-POSY-VASE-/180912525462

I agree with John that more usually the word Mtarfa has a much more clearly defined down stroke to the f than in your vase.

*Perhaps I should really have said indistinct rather than sloppy.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 03:20:33 PM »

An interesting conundrum your vase, although this colourway was used by Mdina it looks as if it was one of several colourways and shapes that migrated over to Mtarfa (along with the personnel that moved). At first glance the colours of the Mtarfa versions look more concentrated - stronger pinks and stronger greens.

A clearer and closer photo of the signature should be able to determine who made yours but I reckon Ivo and Rosie may have had it right all along...

Just seen your other photo of the signature. Could be either but perhaps Mtarfa is a safer bet.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 05:06:40 PM »
I'm glad I kept quiet! I do think the vase in question is Mtarfa - it's absolutely their shape, although the design on the green one is very Mdina. And the mark is confusing, but my guts are decidedly with Mtarfa.
The pink/purple one IS Mtarfa. Their design of colourway, their shape.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand