No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Studio Glass ID Required  (Read 8504 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Studio Glass ID Required
« on: February 18, 2010, 06:16:40 PM »
Hi All,

Hoping that someone can throw some light on this one. Just under 16cm in height, relatively heavy, has a broken pontil mark to the base.

My concern is that the base has a kind of frosted look to it, however the design is very reminiscent of some British studio glass.

Pictures attached, all thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Studio Glass ID Required
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 09:45:34 PM »
Interesting piece,the shape looks like a Sam Herman vase(only looks like not suggesting it is)I have a picture of,with a touch of Mdina,Keith.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 09:57:29 PM »
Hi Keith,

That's what attracted me to it to start with, similar to some of Sam and AA's work, design wise, however, the colors also bear a resemblance to Maltese glass. I do like the design and weight, however, my thoughts keep coming back to the base and pontil mark.

Sure I'll find out soon! - thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers,
Greg

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 11:32:29 PM »
no ideas I'm afraid, but to me  it looks like a torso and is quite beautiful  :mrgreen:  I also I have a Norman Stuart Clarke piece with a base that looks like that (no broken pontil though, just the opaque look of it) and also a Will Shakspeare vase that has a similar frosted/opaque look to the base.  That's not to say I could have a view on whether or not it might be either of these as my knowledge is just not good enough.  But they don't have highly polished bases so it might be studio as you suggested maybe?

m

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 07:33:07 AM »
Yes it does look like Sam Herman and colourwise also, sometimes his signature is just a little way up the side i know someone  that had one several years and didnt know it was signed the base looks right also . Mind you a lot of his students copy his style including Wayne D Filan . Adam Aaronson may have an idea ?

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 10:08:16 AM »
Thanks Keith and M for your thoughts, certainly an interesting piece of glass. I have a few signed Sam Herman pieces although I have looked all over the piece in question and cant see a signature anywhere. Possibly it was by one of his students as you suggest. I'm sure AA would shed some light on this in an instant! - Thanks again for all your thoughts.

Greg

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 10:33:10 AM »
I've got 3 signed Sam Herman pieces, but the bases are quite different, not polished or ground, although I have an unmarked piece I believe to be from his time at Val St Lambert, which has a base like this.
I'm sure Adam A would be able to ask Sam himself.
I'd agree, though, it has the look of Maltese glass too, if so, most likely Mtarfa.
Sorry not to be of more help. ::)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 10:45:33 AM »
Tenuous link I know, but I am trying to learn something so forgive what may seem to be a very novice question  :)
On page 420 of 20th Century British Glass, there is a vase on the very left hand side - plate 877 -, that seems to have similar trailing.  It is described as 'White vase with brown trailing, Isle of Wight, 1980's onwards height 6 1/2 in.'  Shape wise it is nothing like this and I do recognise that IoW glass has the flame pontil mark but..... there seemed to be a similarity in markings to me - if anyone has the book, am I completely off base here?
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 11:01:39 AM »
That's a piece of Mdina, Earthtones (in spiral) pattern. (It wasn't you who was slightly off-base here!)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 11:26:10 AM »
oh good  :)  Thanks Sue.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia