No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: cased glass candleholder - Orrefors? or not? - ID = Owe Elven for Orrefors  (Read 1781 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I have been searching for this and came across two listings of this item, both labelled with a black Orrefors label (different colour candle holder to mine)
I haven't come across anything else remotely similar in searching Orrefors items apart from those.  It wouldn't have even crossed my mind that this was Orrefors to be honest.  It isn't signed.  This is 12cm high by 8cm wide.
I am not perturbed whether it is or isn't because I think it's perfect  (Pear green colour and cased  ;D)  But I am interested to know and if it is, would anyone know what year it was produced please?
The white inner casing is thick and the base edge is ground.  The rim round the top edge is not perfect when you look close.  There is a bubble in the casing.
Does anyone have any views on this please?  Many thanks.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: cased glass candleholder - Orrefors? or not?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 12:42:00 AM »
I've answered my own question  ;D
Apologies  :-[  

A bit of an adapted search and I found that these were designed by Owe Elven.
I do have two questions though if anyone reads this please.  Would these have been signed (I can't think where they could be signed  :-\ ) and also what time period would they be?  My Swedish isn't great but looking at Wikipedia, I think (although I could be mightily wrong), that Owe Elven was there in the mid 70's?  Partly this would explain why I took so long to find them because I assumed they were recent, so have trawled through every known candleholder in recent production :spls:  

m

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 07:49:16 AM »
Ruding in Wickman, 'Orrefors' has Elven at Orrefors from 1975-8, just as Wikipedia has. The candle holder could have been produced after that but at least you know the design date. It looks like an 'eternell' candle holder. Check out http://www.fyndtorget.se/traderasok.php?sokord=eternell%20orrefors. Some Orrefors seem to only have the label.

Hope this helps.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 10:08:25 AM »
Many thanks David!  :)  I appreciate it.
I really like the range of colours.  I will have to keep my eye out now for some more.

Now I know what I am looking for I found this discussion relating to unsigned and stickered only pieces and it appears Eternell was not signed
 for reference-

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,27466.msg149934.html#msg149934

Thanks
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand