No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anyone know what a Whitefriars 9293 is if it's 5" across?  (Read 2451 times)

Offline herb_62

• Members
  • Glass Mad Annie
Anyone know what a Whitefriars 9293 is if it's 5" across?
« on: February 20, 2010, 05:36:10 PM »
Whitefriars Pattern Number 9293 in golden amber.

The only references I can find to this pattern number are 3" high.  However mine is 4.5" high and 5" diameter.  Can anyone tell me if this has a different pattern number or just a different size of the same one?

Annie xxxx

Offline herb_62

• Members
  • Glass Mad Annie
Re: Anyone know what a Whitefriars 9293 is if it's 5" across?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 05:37:21 PM »
PS the colour looks dreadful in the pic but it really is proper WF golden amber colour.

(Maybe I should shoot the Photo Slave?)

Annie xxxx

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 07:11:24 PM »
There are two small bowls/vases in the Whitefriars catalogues which looks the same
9292 is 3 inches in diameter and the 9377 which is 3.5 inches diameter.  Height on both just over 3 inches.
The only other which is similar is 4.5 inches tall and 4.25 wide (approx) is this one

http://www.whitefriars.com/catalogues/contents.php?id=10385

Offline herb_62

• Members
  • Glass Mad Annie
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 07:17:17 PM »
Yes ....(but as far as I can see its 9293 and 9377) This one however is identical in design to 9293 (3") but measures 5" in diameter and is 4.5" tall.

Annie xxxx

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 09:24:08 PM »
Didn't Webb or someone do something very like this? I've passed a photo of one within the last day or so and am trying to recall what and where....
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline herb_62

• Members
  • Glass Mad Annie
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 09:38:55 PM »
As state earlier ... lousy photo ... but there is a vase listed as a 9293 on e-bay at the moment which is very similar (though obviously smaller) than mine but on closer inspection mine appears to have more regular  and generally neater bubbles.  Looking harder at the catalogue pics the 9293 should be lobed at the base??  If this is correct then neither mine nor the one listed on e-bay looks like a 9293.  And mine certainly doesn't look like the catalogue pics of the 9377 which seems to have a wider top. 

The colour is consistent with WF Golden Amber but them other factories were using almost identical colours so ............

Whitefriars?  Webb?  or someone else??

Annie xxxxx

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 10:17:32 PM »
If you mean this ebay listing,then the seller is correct, and she mentions the diameter, so has done her homework.  You are right in that the 9377 has a wider opening.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Whitefriars-bowl-Pattern-No-9293-Gold_W0QQitemZ380206771804

They do have very shallow lobes at the base. Some more so than others and not usually apparent from a side on view. I have three or four and all slightly different.  Tomorrow I'll put a base photo one and it would be good if you also did so.

If we are to go by the Whitefriars catalogue sizes which usually are right, then yours does not conform in size to any of the bubbled William Wilson range.   I have a largish collection of all of that range and not one is of the size you describe. So perhaps it is some other maker and Webb may be the one as they did various vases similar .

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 11:15:29 PM »
Annie, can we see a picture of the base of yours please?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline herb_62

• Members
  • Glass Mad Annie
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 08:17:38 AM »
The poor Photo Slave  :24:

I'll get him onto it as soon as he's done the Sunday morning taxi run. In the meantime not a hint of a lobe to be seen (nor can i detect any on the e-bay one but then she's not revealed her bottom either)  The ground pontil is big (2")... bigger than I would normally expect on a WF piece though they vary a lot of course.  I'm leaning heavily towards Webb now.  Base wear is significant and consistent with 30s/40s.  Hopefully, if the Photo Slave takes some more pics then it will show the colour better than the anaemic pic already shown.

Annie xxx

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand